daytime tractor

rivermama

Chirping
8 Years
May 7, 2011
I have a "fort knox" chicken coop that I used with my last chickens, when i only had 2 left and the neighbors dog died I let them out to free range...they disappeared. I'm getting 4 chickens soon but would love for them to be able to forage and eat some bugs. I would probably only use it 3 times per week because I wouldn't want them in it when I'm not home. Here are my questions:
1. How can I get them from my coop to the tractor? Chasing them and picking them up sounds like a pain. I thought about making an outside drawstring door on my existing coop.
2. Do you need to put an egg box in it? they have 2 in the "fort knox"
3. Does anyone have low cost, easy to move tractor idea?

Thanks for the help, here is a picture of my current coop.

Attachments

• 20180428_131205.jpg
    20180428_131205.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 14
We have a portable run/tractor that the chickens are in during the day when I am home. I bought it on Amazon. It is not predator proof with hardware cloth but I only use it when I am home and it is safe enough for that. We did reinforce it with zip ties at all the connecting places. We draped a tarp over one end for shade. I don't put a nest box in it but mine are not old enough to lay, so I am curious to what the answer to that is.
As far as moving them, right now my kids and I physically move them back and forth, which is a pain. I do need a better process.
I saw on the reviews for the one I bought that one person attached bicycle training wheels to it to make it easier to move.

I have 2 tractors and have found it very easy to get them from coop/run to tractor and back. When I let them out in the morning, I have their feed set up in the tractor. They make a bee-line to the tractor. When it's time to send them back to coop/run, I have a shaker can of scratch, and they gladly follow me back.

I trained broody hen and her clutch of babies in this manner also. However, in the evening, at roost time, all I had to do was open the tractor and the coop door, and they raced to the coop.

If you are training youngsters, you can use a cat carrier to train them. I scoot the babies into the cat carrier and lug it to the tractor. The carrier stays in the tractor all day, providing them the security they crave at that age. They put them selves in the hay lined carrier towards evening. I can then lug them back to the coop in it.

Back
Top Bottom