Dazed and Confused In Delaware

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by myjeangenie, Mar 8, 2013.

1. myjeangenie

myjeangenie Out Of The Brooder

Mar 8, 2013
    Hello! I sure hope i am doing this right! My name is Crystal Milligan. My dad thought it would be a good idea to get the kids chickens for Easter..Unlike most "easter chicks" we are keeping ours. We plan to do our very best and make this a family affair! We have 6 chicks. On their tubs at Tractor Supply they were called Red Pullets, and Pullets, we got 3 of each. Im going to assume thats their breed? Im sure someone is laughing right now, something tells me that might be their size? LOL. We have them snug and safe inside a very large tub, with a heat lamp and a starter kit for food and water. A very nice woman at the tractor supply store advised me to put some antibiotic in their water, and ive done so. I gotta tell ya, they seem very healthy, happy and strong. My two younger children Mason 4, and Morgan 2 arent very interested. BUT!! My oldest Mallory 7, is very excited. Here in Delaware we have a huge state fair, 4-H and FFA community and she is just thrilled that her poultry will be her ticket into those organizations. My husband was less then pleased. We have recently gone organic, and this spring will be growing our own organic garden for the first time.. I know.. we jumped in head first to all of this. We purchased a decent size coop/hen house, its got a small run area as well. The chickens will have run of our big fenced in yard when the dog isnt out. We have a dog, and 3 cats as well. The dog isnt too interested. The cats would give 8 lives to get into that tub!!! Ive got some questions but im not sure this is the place to post them..And by what ive gathered so far this site seems so well put together that i am sure i will find that answers some where! Thank you for adding me to the group!

2. homesteadlizzy

homesteadlizzy Out Of The Brooder

Mar 5, 2007
    Welcome to the group! If you have questions, check in the forums section where there are different categories in the Raising Backyard Chickens thread that covers a lot of topics. You should be able to find the appropriate place to post your questions... Going organic is so important today, especially with GMO's in mostly everything you can buy unless stated otherwise. Your chickens will love your garden excess too... I hope you have lots of fun and find lots of answers here... don't forget to post some pictures!

3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, Crystal, and [​IMG]! Pleased you joined our community! Sounds like you are having a blast with your new additions! Below are a couple links you may find useful in your poultry journey! Best wishes!

The Learning Center gives you information on the care and maintenance of chickens:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/

And the Baby Chicks forum is a Q & A but tons of old threads give loads of great info:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/11/raising-baby-chicks

1 person likes this.
  4. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

5. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Welcome to BYC from California wine country in the Western Sierra Foothills!

I shudder to think what lives my chickens might have had, had I not found BYC.

While you wander around in the various topic forums, let me recommend you stick to topic threads which are related to your experiences and do not go wandering into the Emergencies, Injuries, Illnesses section unless you NEED to do so. Folks can get really freaked out by the different things that go wrong in this or that flock somewhere. Some things may never occur, some things are sheer accidents, and some are horrific. I say this because there are enough questions about feed, coops, treats, breeds, nest boxes, fixing muddy runs, what are the best to use for encouraging a new laying pullet into using the nest box, golf balls, wooden eggs or plastic Easter eggs? while you are learning more about chickens.

"Pullets" are female chicken under a year old. "Hens" are female chickens at least one year old.

Red Pullets are.... Well... Ruddy colored female chicks. :D Think - but don't assume - Rhode Island Red, or New Hampshire Red, or the like, a mix of such breeds known to be good alters.

Enjoy your chicken raising experiences and I bet you will be able to find anything you need to know right here on BYC, either through other forum threads or by posting your own questions.

1 person likes this.
  6. AccidentalFarm

AccidentalFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2007
    Oh Gosh! Me too!

[​IMG] Glad you joined, myjeangenie!

1 person likes this.
  7. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    As gryeyes has said pullets are supposed to be females - generally there is a 10% margin of error; so, there is the possibility that one or more may be a rooster. Good luck with your new flock, and welcome to BYC.

1 person likes this.
  8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

9. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

10. myjeangenie

myjeangenie Out Of The Brooder

Mar 8, 2013
    This site has TONS of info!!! WOW!! You guys are awesome! I am so glad to be here. I am so stressed out that i am going to do "this" wrong. Good to know ive got a place to go and get some help!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by