DE and shavings in the composter?

erindubb

Songster
9 Years
Apr 18, 2010
Hi - I am getting ready to clean out my coop for the first time and I was wondering if I can put the old shavings that were mixed with DE for bugs and smells.....in the composter? I just want to dump all the poop and shavings in there - is that OK? I just am not sure what DE will do to the good "bugs" like bacteria in the composter. any ideas? What do you guys do?

I don't see any problem with the DE affecting the bacteria in the compost. What DE does to "bugs" is scratch their exoskeleton and cause the bug to dry out. Since bacteria are built differently (no exoskeleton like, for example, an earwig or a mite) then there shouldn't be any problem.

I believe that DE actually scratches the soft areas between exoskeleton segments and causes the insect to dehydrate due to fluid loss? I know they say putting it in livestock water is a good organic internal parasite preventative, I don't know about the microbes and such in soil? Can someone with more "know" than myself pipe up?

Last edited:
wikipedia says we are both wrong.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diatomaceous_earth#Pest_control

Pest control

Diatomite is also used as an insecticide, due to its physico-sorptive properties. The fine powder absorbs lipids from the waxy outer layer of insects' exoskeletons, causing them to dehydrate[7]. Arthropods die as a result of the water pressure deficiency, based on Fick's law of diffusion. This also works against gastropods and is commonly employed in gardening to defeat slugs. However, since slugs inhabit humid environments, efficacy is very low. It is sometimes mixed with an attractant or other additives to increase its effectiveness. Medical-grade diatomite is sometimes used to de-worm both animals and humans. It is most commonly used in lieu of boric acid, and can be used to help control and eventually eliminate a cockroach infestation. This material has wide application for insect control in grain storage.

Back
Top Bottom