DE bath = quieter chicks?

I use BOTH DE and sweet PDZ.

Sweet PDZ (or Stall Dry) are horse-stall products that -I believe- absorb and neutralize ammonia to cut down on smell. They have no anti-parasite properties like DE.

DE can be used in bedding, feed, and to actually dust chickens with. My understanding is it's tiny silica (?) that cuts into soft-bodied insects, thereby reducing internal and external parasites as well as fly larvae in bedding. It is also a sort of dessicant, I think, that absorbs moisture to an extent, and in that way also cuts down on smell in bedding.

I sprinkle Stall Dry/Sweet PDZ under the shavings in the main coop, and then use DE there as well, and also the DE goes in the nest boxes, and I make a "whitewash" of DE & water to paint the roost and droppings board with when I do big cleanings. I also add DE to the feed, if it doesn't already contain it (Blue Seal Organic Life, for example, already contains it. Check the ingredient label.)

Hope this helps, sorry I don't have the exact facts!
Stacey

I just wanted to post to let those that are considering using DE and unfamiliar with it know that while it is "organic" in the sense that it is natural, it is not "organic" meaning "good for the environment". While De is a fair alternative to some of the other broader pesticides in certain situations, De is an indiscriminate killer. It not only kills pest insects, but it also kills your wanted insects.

My particular concern is bees. If you are unfamiliar with the crisis that bees are beginning to face do some research before using pesticides that may effect them. I've been looking into this for a few weeks now, as we have a large population of natural bees and are planning to start growing our own hives. I think using pesticides is something we should all take under careful consideration and really weigh our alternatives. Does the benefits justify the means sort of thing. DE, like most pesticides, spreads quickly from one place to another and you've unintentionally put something in your enviornment that will kill your beneficial insects. Just really look into it before you make up your mind to use it.

Last edited:
We just bought 50pound bag of food grade DE for $18.00 I was thrilled with the price!! Now I am just trying to figure out what the heck to do with the stuff? I am reading everything I can but I guess it still isnt sinking in....should I jus tgo sprinkle it around in the coop, on the feed and everyplace? DUH! to much information I think I am on overload

I am going to go pick up some DE this weekend. If I sprinkle it in the coop with the chickens will it help control the mite population. Will the DE help keep mites from breeding in there and getting on my babies?

Thanks Dawn...that was the fist place I started. SO MUCH GREAT INFO!!!! its great... I used a flour sifter and dusted around the inside of the coop today. DH noticed with in just about an hour that there was now almost no smell.

I asked my family if they will eat it, lol.........they want to know if they will even know they are eating it
wink.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom