DE ? Confused

realtreegirl

Chirping
6 Years
Jul 25, 2013
I bought St. Gabriel Organics from the feed store. It was on the chicken product shelf. It is labeled food grade BUT I am confused after reading other posts. Need some help from those who know the stuff. It is labeled Insect Dust DE For indoor and outdoor use But active ingredients say Silicon Dioxide 85% other element oxides 10% moisture 5%. How can that be food grade? I have not used it I think it is not the correct DE. I seen food grade and thought it was safe till I got home and researched it on here. Thanks a bunch
thumbsup.gif

The silicon dioxide and moisture will not be problems for food grade labeling. What might be a problem are the other dioxides, some of which likely make so it keeps and flows better. I assume if it is labeled as food grade, then it is safe for consumption. Efficacy of DE as an internal parasite control does not get my vote. For use against external parasites like mites and lice, that is up in the air for me. If I were to use it, then it would be applied liberally to areas where birds dust bath.

The information presented by those who sell this show that it is 100% Diatomaceous Earth. The FDA defines "Food Grade" so we should be covered there.

Chris

Back
Top Bottom