DE - Diatomaceous Earth

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by bdp7150, Nov 20, 2008.

1. bdp7150

bdp7150 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 17, 2008
    Kentucky
    can Diatomaceous Earth be sprinked on top of pine shavings (that has been down a little while)while chickens are in run and then let them back in ?
    reason for ,is it bad to breath the dust for the chickens

i have already put it down before i put the shavings down when the new shavings went in.

[​IMG]

2. sillybirds

sillybirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2008
    California
    I periodically sprinkle it on top of the pine shavings. I don't think that's a problem. They're going to kick it up wherever you put it anyway when they go and scratch.

3. aiwetir

aiwetir Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2008
    portland, or
    food grade DE is probably a LOT safer. the other stuff is way bad.

4. chilisweet

chilisweet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2008
    Vancouver, WA
    YOu can DE the shavings, DE their food, DE their run, DE their poo pile, DE their dust bath areas. Seriously Food grade DE you can do just about anything with. You can even whitewash the inside of their coop with DE to prevent bugs from living in the wood.

In fact if you want to keep the smell down, I would DE at least once a week inside the coop.

You can also add DE to your food (human food I'm talking). Ever eat biscuit mix..guess what's in it? Yup!

We also add DE to the cat's litter boxes, their food and hamster cages. It's amazing how much this stuff works.

Good luck!

~Caran

5. Gazinga

Gazinga Chook Norris

i too love DE! i use it in everthing! including my own orange juice! mmmmm

6. SewingDiva

SewingDiva Chillin' With My Peeps

DE does do a really good job of drying up poo. As for chickens breathing it in - well they seem to make enough of their own dust to begin with(which is one reason of many as to why they're not indoor pets) when they dust bathe and such, and it doesn't seem to affect them at all!

Phyllis

Last edited: Nov 21, 2008
  7. NurseNettie

NurseNettie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2008
    Northern Maine
    Not to hijack this thread-- but do any of you mail order your DE?? If so, from where? We don't have a local source of food grade DE so I'm going to need to mail order. Thanks!

8. homestead5er

homestead5er Out Of The Brooder

May 16, 2008
    Loganville
  9. firefighter9208

firefighter9208 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 4, 2008
    Springville, Alabama
  10. Dustoff79

Dustoff79 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2008
    San Antonio, Texas