DE Help!!

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by MamaChick0708, Aug 1, 2016.

1. MamaChick0708

MamaChick0708 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 17, 2016
    Hi guys so Im wondering if I just made a fatal error, I just realized the bag of DE I bought and lightly sprinkled in my coop is NOT food grade, should I be freaking out? Is one application going to harm the chickens. I didnt use a lot just a little sprinkle and I do the deep litter method so I was trying to figure out if I just turned the bedding over if they would be okay. Any thoughts would be great Im new to this.

2. TheFoxyChicken

TheFoxyChicken Out Of The Brooder

Jun 5, 2016
    Charleston, SC
    You are fine. The dirt and poop you dropped it in is far worse and is not food grade either [​IMG]
    Food grade is for humans. This is debatable. But, I know of no reason to be alarmed. I free range my flock and I doubt anything they eat would make the food grade. I say, add a bit more.
    We use play sand in our coops to keep down the smell and it really dries up the poop well. We add DE to the sand in and out of the coop for many reasons. Most likely they will dust in it rather than eat it. Which is what we want them to do. Hope this settles your mind.

3. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    I wouldn't worry. It may be the type for pool filters. A sprinkle won't hurt.
    Just don't feed it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by