DE~how much and how often?

SunnyDayz

Songster
9 Years
Apr 9, 2010
Sunny FL
Our coop is 8x4 and the run is 12x8... how much DE should I use? For now I just sprinkled in a large cup (think 'big gulp', lol) on the ground of the run and a little less in the pine shavings of the coop. We have some flies in the coop and fire ants in the run... I hope this will help!
How often do I use it?

I usually cover the inside of my coop, L0L, it might be a bit of over kill but I like to make sure it stays dry. Especially around their roosts, where the poop falls.

I also leave a bucket of the stuff in the run with a bucket of oyster shell right next to each other. That way the birds can eat it free choice, when they need it.

Quote:
My coop and run dimensions are the same as yours. I sprinkled it around the edges of the coop in April, and haven't done it since. I never see flies in there, but I also clean it every day..easy clean-up because I put trays under their roost. In the run, however, I have done it several times since April. I also just do it around the edges with a sifter. Sand in the run is also great because of the easy clean up with a kitty litter scoop..surely helps keep the flies away.

I've heard it keeps worms and bad bacteria from growing inside their stomachs. And their poop doesn't stink as much.

Quote:
I have to disagree with that completely. I've never once had an issue with worms in my chickens and I'll give credit to DE for that. Why do you say there is no benefit from consuming it? It's even suggested that you feed it to your other animals, dogs and cats. I read online that it's even good to help aid digestion in humans! So... I think there are some benefits. It's a natural alternative to medicated wormers, etc.

ALSO, if you do plan on feeding it to your birds make sure you get the food grade DE, there are two different types. (Or so.)

Last edited by a moderator:
That's what the companies that sell it want you to believe and are trying to make a sale. DE is hyped....If it was the miracle substance that it's made out to be...it would be sold in grocery stories, pharmacies, doctors, vets would prescibe it etc...sold everywhere, but it's not. It's a placebo for something that it's not. It is useless when it is wet and will not kill worms internally because innards are wet. Call your vet and ask him if it'll kill worms! Call any vet...call a doctor. I used to be caught up in this as well, then I saw it wasnt doing what it was claimed to do and realized all it was good for was drying out a wet pen and maybe preventing lice and mites because of its mechanical properties.

Quote:
This alone seems like reason enough to use it!

All I can say in response is that I have never had an issue with worms or any sort of internal parasite (*knocks on wood*) and I have been feeding free choice DE since day 1.

urbanfarmboi. Using it as a wormer, it will in time, fail you. There is no health benefit whatsoever by taking it internally....ask your vet or doctor! Ivermectin is cheaper and will kill lice/mites and all kinds of worms....ask your vet or doctor about that too. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom