DE is AWFUL!!!

See, those don't even work for us!! We've got one out there right now, and it has maybe 10-15 flies in it, along with 1 wasp. It's been out there for maybe 2 weeks now........

I have sand in my coop. The sand is EXTREMELY clean. I don't know how large your coop is, but poop dries as soon as it falls in the sand and is soooooo simple to clean each day using a kitty litter scoop. My coop floor is 4x4 and raised off the ground. It takes me less than one minute per day to clean my coop. It has NO ODOR what so ever and I have never seen a fly in or near it yet. I have about 1/2 inch of sand on the floor. It is a great solution for an odor free (fly free) coop! Oh yeah...my birds don't have mites either. I don't know if it's because of the sand, but we have yet to see a bug. My hen's are 14 weeks old today.

I want to try sand badly, but we're tight on a budget right now. I know sand would be a fantastic thing for us to try!! Sigh... most of the maggots are dying tho.

Nosey Chickens, is that a White EE?????

I also use sand inside my coop and have to agree it is sooooo nice and easy to clean. I used the construction All Purpose sand they sell at Lowes. It was about $2.40 for a 50lb. bag. I used 3 in my coop and its about 2 1/2 inches deep. So thats, what... $7.20? Good stuff
smile.png

I used the Vanilla air freshner. It worked. But they do not last a real long time. But they are cheap so I keep using them. Good luck.

Quote:
In the long run, its much less expensive than shavings and way easier to clean! You should really consider it. It think you'd be surprised at how much you'll save in the long run, not to mention how much TIME you will save and time is very valuable.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom