1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!
  1. porkchop48

porkchop48 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2008
    Malta, OH
    The coop is up and running.

One side I used the pine pellets ( the one you wet down and they fluff )on top of sand the other side I used pine shavings.

I have read that DE helps keep the smell down... How is it used?

2. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    Make sure you get the food grade DE. Sprinkle it on the bedding. I like to turn the bedding over a bit when I put the DE in there so it gets mixed in. DE is a dessicant so it won't work if it gets wet.

3. porkchop48

porkchop48 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2008
    Malta, OH
    Quote:Thank you :)

I will work on getting some this weekend.

4. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Pelletized lime or Stall-Dri is at least as effective and a lot cheaper. Also, DE is rough on their lungs and pelletized lime is not. If you use DE, use ti sparingly, a light dusting.

5. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    I wear a mask when cleaning the coop and using DE, mainly due to the DE. It gets pretty dusty when mixing up the pine and DE together. The DE has been great! It really helps keep the odor down and it dries up the poo for easier cleaning. We don't have a single bug, including flies in the coop. My girls are mite, lice and flea free!

Last edited: Jul 13, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by