DE Question

Spoiled1_629

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jul 19, 2011
Midland, TX
Okay, I went to TSC and bought a 20# bag of Red Lake Earth DE. I wanted it to sprinkle in the coop and run for help keeping bugs at bay and for the smell. I have never messed with DE before and knew nothing about it before seeing it mentioned here.

Question is: Is it supposed to be a white powder? The bag I got is a dark gray powder. Is this right? It says food grade on the bag and even gives measurments as far as how much to add to feed for different species of animals. It just threw me because all the pics I see on here of it is white.

Mine is White but I have heard of others on BYC say they have a grey or even a yellowish tint.
I think the different mfg just add a color of their choice. As long as the bag says food grade you are good!

wee.gif
Forgot to say
welcome-byc.gif

even gives measurments as far as how much to add to feed for different species of animals

The only reason to add it to feed is to kill bugs in the feed.
It's never been proven to have any benefits when ingested​

Quote:
The only reason to add it to feed is to kill bugs in the feed.
It's never been proven to have any benefits when ingested

I wasn't planning on adding it to the feed, I was just saying that was on the bag to show that it was Food Grade. The only reason I wanted it was for the possible pests in the coop and to help keep odor down.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom