1. goldenchic

goldenchic Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2009
    i put DE in my dustbaths will this stop all fleas and mites? i also put some in food will this cure all worms ?

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble Premium Member

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    DE might help with fleas and mites,but not internal parasites.

3. BackToMyRoots

BackToMyRoots Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2010
    Matthews, NC
    Using DE internally sounded crazy to me, too, dawg53, but I heard at the feed store yesterday that it's pretty common. Nobody was sure exactly how it works, but it may be a searchable topic here on BYC.

4. RedRoosterFarm

RedRoosterFarm **LOVE MY SERAMAS**

Mar 25, 2010
    Eatonville, Washington
    I use DE for mites and put it in the food. I also put in the pens when cleaning and dust with it. I use it in the garden too.

5. encorepistol

encorepistol Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    MO
    Well I've read how great it is at killing all sorts of things both internal and external and had used it in the past. I recently have been trying to kill off a flea problem in the coops and in the yard and after trying several things thought I'd give DE a try again since it is suppose to be great for killing fleas. Well I bought a 50 pound bag and cleaned out the shavings in the coop and spread it all around the coop covering every nook and cranny. I did this a week ago come Monday and when I go to the coop I see them jumping in it like they are playing in it. The fleas aren't on the chickens from what I've noticed from checking them but they sure bite the heck out of me when feeding and watering and they are all over the back yard and I don't even want to be out there any more than I have to. So from what I've seen personally from using DE for fleas I don't see how anyone could claim it works for killing them but it may have uses other than a flea killer. I do however plan to use the remaining DE in their food since I already have it but don't see me buying any more unless the FDA or some other agency shows testing that proves it uses.

6. ADozenGirlz

ADozenGirlz The Chicken Chick[IMG]emojione/assets/png/00ae.png

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    Quote:It's certainly an in-depth topic of discussion on this forum. A quick search of "DE" or "diatomaceous earth" will give you plenty to read and think about!

7. dawg53

dawg53 Humble Premium Member

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    The majical pixie dust is all hyped up and will eventually disappoint you...been there, done that. It will dry out a wet pen or coop,then, until it dries...it's useless. It might kill lice/mites, but not an infestation. IMO it's a waste of money. There are many others who, after time like me have discovered the unfortunate disappointment of DE. Those who are using it for worming will be especially disappointed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by