DE v.s. oyster shell powder

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by clucky2, Sep 29, 2009.

1. clucky2

clucky2 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 29, 2008
    NORCAL
    I have a fair understanding of the importance of using food grade DE. I am using oyster shell powder. It does a fine job at poop drying, we have many flies. Very little smell though.
    How does oyster shell powder compare to DE. Is it some kind of non-food grade DE? Anyone else use it? I've never seen a reference to it in the forum. HMM.

2. Tweeza

Tweeza Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2008
    New England
    Never heard of oyster shell powder. What's the cost and where do you get it?

I'm interested in what the others have to say about this also.

3. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

I have never heard of oyster shell powder for drying. Food Grade D.E. is wonderful for it's drying, and also used as prevention for lice/mites/worms. It is NOT for treatment of those, but is helpful in prevention of them. I love D.E. for what it is good at. I have a 12'x16' coop, and I have no smell. I use pine shavings, and sprinkle D.E. on it weekly.

4. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    While I have not personally encountered oyster shell powder sold commercially, it would be mainly calcium carbonate, i.e. basically the same thing as if you buy a bag of ground calcitic limestone (one of the two flavors of agricultural lime) from the feedstore, like the stuff used to raise the pH of too-acid soils.

As powdered calcium carbonate, yeah, it should do some good with moisture and especially *smells*.

It really has nothing to do with DE though -- DE is silica, sometimes with clay also added.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

5. juliawitt

juliawitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2009
    Hopefully, someone will tell me....What is DE? I have ask before but never gotten an answer. Went to three farmstores and saw no DE product. I got some poultry dust which a put down and around...but the question remains, what is DE and where can I get it?

6. Buugette

Buugette [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]Cra

May 26, 2009
    Bucks County, PA
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2009
  7. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

I bought crushed oyster shell for when my hens are older and laying...it's powdery with small pieces in it...for the calcium. I haven't heard it used for drying out poop and such... I've got DE for that... Not sure if it would be cost effective because I bought such a tiny bag (of the oyster shell).

8. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Quote:Some feed stores keep it on hand, others would have to order it for you. Some garden nurserys keep it too...just make sure it's food grade (fresh water)....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by