De-wormed my chickens with safeguard now one is ill, update with poo photo - Cocci?

Well, her crop was way smaller, but it was still squishy, but she was already up and eating and hopefully drinking before I came down. I need to get more sweetpotato baby food, she loves that. tried carrots, doesn't want it. Her poo is about the same, some are a little better. But she gets up and eats on her own, where before she wasn't interested in eating or drinking anything. I haven't seen her drink today, but hopefully she is doing that when i'm not around. Don't want to jinx anything, but I think things are looking up!

Well, her crop was way smaller, but it was still squishy, but she was already up and eating and hopefully drinking before I came down.  I need to get more sweetpotato baby food, she loves that. tried carrots, doesn't want it.  Her poo is about the same, some are a little better. But she gets up and eats on her own, where before she wasn't interested in eating or drinking anything.  I haven't seen her drink today, but hopefully she is doing that when i'm not around.  Don't want to jinx anything, but I think things are looking up!

Baby food probably giving her extra water. Well, glad she's eating, so feeling better, but if she hasn't been laying, she may be an internal layer. Nothing can be done about that. I'd try givng her more of a mash with her regular food. Maybe add some of that sweet potato to it to make her eat more chicken food.

That is a good Idea, thanks! I've been giving her mash along side of the sweet potato baby food. I've been mixing her medicine water in both. but that is a great Idea to mix them together, that way she'll get more medicine and maybe firm up her poo better as well. She still just wants to sleep alot though, most of the time, so that is very concerning. I wish she had more energy, but like you said earlier, it could take a few days to see improvement. She does have more energy than yesterday, seems to be holding her own, but still very sleepy.

It is looking up! I worked half a day so I could come home and check on her. Everytime i've went down there she has been up and moving around, not sleeping. she is perkier, talks alot more, movements are quicker, yey! I may be able to put her back out with the girls soon. Hopefully it warms up out there a bit, right now it is only in the 40's. Don't know if she is ready for that. I'm going to turn off the heat lamp tonight and see how it goes. it is in the 50's-60's in the basement without the heat lamp, about 72 with it.

Well, it has been 5 days since the last post, I put her out with the other girls the next day as she was doing really well. so far, so good. She went in the dust bath immediately when I put her in the pen (after the other girls got done pecking on her) I talked to the guy at the feed store, he said that since she responded so well/fast to the treatment of corid it was most likely cocci. I'm so glad she is better, thank you @dawg53 for the suggestion that it might be cocci, I think you and the others on here saved my girl with your quick response to my desperate questions. Thank you all for your help!
woot.gif

Last edited:
Goose is doing great! She is back out with the girls, poo is normal, eating and drinking good. She seems fully recovered and doing well. Pick up some baby food sweet potato, mix some of the corid in with it. that is what mine started eating, when she started eating. she loves it. When she starts feeling better, mix the sweet potato with crumble and the corid, and put the corid in her water the whole time. Good luck and keep us updated! I hope she gets better real soon!

Back
Top Bottom