De worming chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kardar2, Mar 1, 2014.

1. kardar2

kardar2 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2013
    Jones valley area
    Hello all,
    We have 12 chicks from our local feed store they came from Ideal hatchery.they are on starter food.the feed store sold me 10 lbs brown paper bag bulk so I am not sure what brand it is. Should I De worm them? I saw a YouTube video this old guy uses apple cider vinegar. But does not say the ratio to use. We are using rooster Booster vitamins and electrolytes in their water. Not sure how long we need to use that either. Thanks for your input.Karl

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I don't worm baby chicks unless they are sick with worms as their organs are still developing. Just my preference. I do have to worm my chickens a couple of times a year and I repeat at 10 days to break the life cycle. But I wait until they basically are just about to lay eggs or at least 18 weeks, if they are young.

I have had problems with worms in my flock. There are people who never worm their chickens and never have sick hens from worms (although I am not sure if they don't have worms though). Then there are people who have to worm every few months.

Some vets will do a fecal float for worms (just bring the poo) but false negatives are possible.

I am not sure what ACV does- have never used it. But wormers - the kind you get from the feed store- are basically poisons and can even kill a weak hen.

3. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Do check out ACV here on BYC though...do a search in the search bar as many people like to talk about it and you can read some threads on it while you are waiting for responses. There are some people who love ACV for their flocks.

4. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    How old are chicks? No need to worm a baby chick.

5. Mtn Laurel

Mtn Laurel Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2012
    Northern Virginia
    My Coop
    As these are new chicks and haven't yet been out on soil, I doubt they've had any opportunity to get worms. I personally wouldn't worm them that young, especially since it's unlikely that they need it.

I prefer to get a fecal sample tested at the vets before worming so that I know if they have worms and what type. That way I know what type of worm meds to use. Any vet can do the test, doesn't have to be a bird vet.

6. kardar2

kardar2 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2013
    Jones valley area
    Okay thanks to you all.

7. LaLa Chickie

LaLa Chickie Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2013
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 10, 2014
  8. AutumnAnnie

AutumnAnnie New Egg

Mar 30, 2014
    Hey,this is my 1st question posted on here as I am new...anyway, I got some chicks at tractor supply and was wondering if anyone knows whether those chicks have the merks vac? If not, do I need to get that done?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by