De-worming Ducks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by BowmansBirds, Aug 8, 2013.

1. BowmansBirds

BowmansBirds Out Of The Brooder

Aug 4, 2011
    Valley Center, CA
    Hello! I've seen a few threads on BYC regarding deworming ducks but none have really answered all of my questions. I have a flock of 11 free ranging runner ducks. They range with my chickens and turkey. A few of my ducks are looking a bit thin to where I can almost see breast bone. I don't have the money to do fecal tests at the vet (our vet charges $45 for "exotic" animals and will only do them with a vet exam as well). I'd like to use an oral de-wormer that I can purchase at a feed store rather than online if possible. I've heard some people mention SafeGuard and other livestock de-wormers. Do those actually work well and what is the dosage I should give? I also know of quite a few people who use regular dog/cat de-worming pills for their chickens but I'm not sure if it'd be ok to do with ducks. I also did see that I can purchase Panacur from the Costco pharmacy but again, I'm not sure what the dosage would be for it. Thanks in advance!

2. HollyDuckFarmer

HollyDuckFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2012
    LP Michigan
    I have read that ducks rarely get worms, (mine have never had any) but I feed my flock lots of pumpkins and squash while in season, I don't know how it works but somehow these act as natural wormers.

3. BowmansBirds

BowmansBirds Out Of The Brooder

Aug 4, 2011
    Valley Center, CA
    I'm pretty positive my guys have them, unfortunately. They eat earth worms EVERY time I flip their pool for cleaning which is how they get tape worms. I also give my guys squash when I can but there's no way to guarantee that they're all getting enough to "naturally de-worm" them. I'd rather just de-worm the few that are looking thin and have the piece of mind.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by