DE

The thing that got me was when she said there is no Wormer besides De that kills every worm.

It is true that no one chemical wormer treats all worms, but there are several that have two or more chemicals that will.
Google Tri-Fen Plus, Wormout Gel, and of course one could make their own "cocktail" to do the same thing.

-Kathy

When i first started keeping chickens i knew nothing and are chickens had lice so we went to the feed store and the lady told me to use DE its safe for chickens and safe for humans.Both of those were false after doing little research.If humans aren't supposed to inhale DE why give it to chickens.

Will someone please show me a properly documented study that shows the efficacy of pumpkin seeds, garlic, ginger, rhubarb, etc., and please also show me studies that show these are safe. Beekissed might feel comfortable feeding rhubarb leaves and garlic to her flock, but I strongly suggest that anyone else considering this contact a poultry health expert from one of the many universities.

-Kathy
At no time did I say that Bee Kissed "feeds" rhubarb to her birds. There is a world of difference between letting birds self medicate when free ranging, and "feeding" it to them. As for garlic, pumpkin seeds, and ginger... those items can be found in my kitchen. My birds help themselves to garlic often. I feel no need to show documentation re: the antihelminthic properties of any of those items, nor do I feel the need to show that common human dietary items are safe. Nor do I feel the need to show that any item in my yard that my chickens choose to eat is "safe." My birds have yet to show any signs of illness from any plant they eat in my yard. Nor have I seen any sign of worms, including exam of small intestines when processing.

Will someone please show me a properly documented study that shows the efficacy of pumpkin seeds, garlic, ginger, rhubarb, etc., and please also show me studies that show these are safe. Beekissed might feel comfortable feeding rhubarb leaves and garlic to her flock, but I strongly suggest that anyone else considering this contact a poultry health expert from one of the many universities.

-Kathy

At no time did I say that Bee Kissed "feeds" rhubarb to her birds.  There is a world of difference between letting birds self medicate when free ranging, and "feeding" it to them.  As for garlic, pumpkin seeds, and ginger... those items can be found in my kitchen.  My birds help themselves to garlic often.  I feel no need to show documentation re: the antihelminthic properties of any of those items, nor do I feel the need to show that common human dietary items are safe.  Nor do I feel the need to show that any item in my yard that my chickens choose to eat is "safe."  My birds have yet to show any signs of illness from any plant they eat in my yard.  Nor have I seen any sign of worms, including exam of small intestines when processing.

I guess I should go back and re-read your post, but the feeling I got was that you were suggesting that rhubarb, garlic, ginger, pumpkin, etc were safe and effective poultry wormers.

-Kathy

Info on pumpkin seeds and ginger as vermifuges.
The pumpkin Cucurbita moschata is an annual dicotyledonous vegetable, belonging to the Cucurbitaceae family. It is used as a medicinal plant for prostate and bladder problems, and as an anthelmintic, galactogogue, and anti-emetic. Pumpkin seed is used as a vermifuge in several countries, and C. moschata seed contains a wide range of bioactive compounds, some of which could possess anthelmintic properties, prompting experimental studies. This chapter reviews the experimental data on the anthelmintic evaluation of C. moschata seed.

This chapter outlines the pharmacological actions and potential uses of pumpkin and its extracts. Pumpkin seed oil contains 9.5-13% palmitic, 6-7.93% stearic, 0.04% arachidic, 37-39% oleic, and 44% linoleic acid. The seed also contains a wide range of bioactive compounds. The aqueous extract of the seeds of C. moschata showed efficacy as an anthelmintic in humans. The use of aqueous extracts of pumpkin seeds in the treatment of puppies experimentally infected with heterophyasis gave promising results, with even better results when combining extracts of areca nut and pumpkin seeds than when giving either extract alone. The secondary metabolites suspected to be responsible for anthelmintic activity in C. moschata seed are a triterpenic compound named cucurbitacin B, a non-proteic amino acid named cucurbitin, saponins, and sterols. The non-proteic amino acid cucurbitin, which is only present in the seeds, has been focused on as the active principle responsible for anthelmintic, notably taenicidal and schistosomicidal, activity. Cucurbitin is also used as an anti-allergen for the preparation of cosmetics and pharmaceuticals, particularly dermatological, products. Despite the focus on cucurbitin as the active principle, other secondary metabolites present in the seeds of C. moschata might also be considered as anthelmintics. The non-proteic amino acid cucurbitin (3-amino-pyrrolidine-3-carboxylic acid) is suspected to be the active principle. Cucurbitin was mostly reported to have no side effects, and only a weak level of toxicity was described in dogs and humans.

The crude extract of Carica papaya (papaya) seeds (CP) and Cucurbita maxima (Pumpkin) seeds (CM) were assayed against adult earthworms (Pheretima posthuma) for the evaluation of anthelmintic activity. Various concentrations of both extracts were tested and results were expressed in terms of time for paralysis (P) and time for death (D) of worms. Albendazole was used as a reference standard. The result showed that in both of the extracts (i.e. CP and CM) dose of 60 mg / ml possesses more wormicidal activity.
Quote: Abstract

Dogs, naturally infected with Dirofilaria immitis, were treated with the residues of the alcoholic extracts of the rhizomes of Zingiber officinale (ginger). Twelve subcutaneous injections of the extract given at 100 mg/kg reduced microfilarial concentration in blood by a maximum of 98%. Fifty five days after the last injection there was 83% reduction in microfilarial concentration suggesting partial destruction of adult worms. Half of the treated dogs showed some lethargy at the beginning of treatment possibly due to the mass annihilation of microfilariae in blood.

Quote: Canine dirofilariasis is a common tropical parasitic disease of companion animals, caused by infestation of Dirofilaria immitis filarids within the pulmonary arteries and extending into the right heart. Increased reports of adverse reactions elicited by current microfilaricidal agents against D. immitis such as neurological disorders, circulatory collapse and potential resistance against these agents, warrant the search for new agents in forms of plant extracts. The use of plant extracts in therapeutic medicine is commonly met with scepticism by the veterinary community, thus the lack of focus on its medical potential. This study evaluated the presence of microfilaricidal activities of the aqueous extracts of Zingiber officinale, Andrographis paniculata and Tinospora crispa Miers on D. immitisin vitro at different concentrations; 10 mg/ml, 1 mg/ml, 100 μg/ml, 10 μg/ml and 1 μg/ml within 24 h, by evaluation of relative microfilarial motility as a measure of microfilaricidal activity. All extracts showed microfilaricidal activity with Z. officinale exhibiting the strongest activity overall, followed by A. paniculata and T. crispa Miers. It is speculated that the microfilaricidal mechanism exhibited by these extracts is via spastic paralysis based upon direct observation of the microfilarial motility.

Last edited:
Quote: The pumpkin Cucurbita moschata is an annual dicotyledonous vegetable, belonging to the Cucurbitaceae family. It is used as a medicinal plant for prostate and bladder problems, and as an anthelmintic, galactogogue, and anti-emetic. Pumpkin seed is used as a vermifuge in several countries, and C. moschata seed contains a wide range of bioactive compounds, some of which could possess anthelmintic properties, prompting experimental studies. This chapter reviews the experimental data on the anthelmintic evaluation of C. moschata seed.

This chapter outlines the pharmacological actions and potential uses of pumpkin and its extracts. Pumpkin seed oil contains 9.5-13% palmitic, 6-7.93% stearic, 0.04% arachidic, 37-39% oleic, and 44% linoleic acid. The seed also contains a wide range of bioactive compounds. The aqueous extract of the seeds of C. moschata showed efficacy as an anthelmintic in humans. The use of aqueous extracts of pumpkin seeds in the treatment of puppies experimentally infected with heterophyasis gave promising results, with even better results when combining extracts of areca nut and pumpkin seeds than when giving either extract alone. The secondary metabolites suspected to be responsible for anthelmintic activity in C. moschata seed are a triterpenic compound named cucurbitacin B, a non-proteic amino acid named cucurbitin, saponins, and sterols. The non-proteic amino acid cucurbitin, which is only present in the seeds, has been focused on as the active principle responsible for anthelmintic, notably taenicidal and schistosomicidal, activity. Cucurbitin is also used as an anti-allergen for the preparation of cosmetics and pharmaceuticals, particularly dermatological, products. Despite the focus on cucurbitin as the active principle, other secondary metabolites present in the seeds of C. moschata might also be considered as anthelmintics. The non-proteic amino acid cucurbitin (3-amino-pyrrolidine-3-carboxylic acid) is suspected to be the active principle. Cucurbitin was mostly reported to have no side effects, and only a weak level of toxicity was described in dogs and humans.

The crude extract of Carica papaya (papaya) seeds (CP) and Cucurbita maxima (Pumpkin) seeds (CM) were assayed against adult earthworms (Pheretima posthuma) for the evaluation of anthelmintic activity. Various concentrations of both extracts were tested and results were expressed in terms of time for paralysis (P) and time for death (D) of worms. Albendazole was used as a reference standard. The result showed that in both of the extracts (i.e. CP and CM) dose of 60 mg / ml possesses more wormicidal activity.
Quote: Abstract

Dogs, naturally infected with Dirofilaria immitis, were treated with the residues of the alcoholic extracts of the rhizomes of Zingiber officinale (ginger). Twelve subcutaneous injections of the extract given at 100 mg/kg reduced microfilarial concentration in blood by a maximum of 98%. Fifty five days after the last injection there was 83% reduction in microfilarial concentration suggesting partial destruction of adult worms. Half of the treated dogs showed some lethargy at the beginning of treatment possibly due to the mass annihilation of microfilariae in blood.

Quote: Canine dirofilariasis is a common tropical parasitic disease of companion animals, caused by infestation of Dirofilaria immitis filarids within the pulmonary arteries and extending into the right heart. Increased reports of adverse reactions elicited by current microfilaricidal agents against D. immitis such as neurological disorders, circulatory collapse and potential resistance against these agents, warrant the search for new agents in forms of plant extracts. The use of plant extracts in therapeutic medicine is commonly met with scepticism by the veterinary community, thus the lack of focus on its medical potential. This study evaluated the presence of microfilaricidal activities of the aqueous extracts of Zingiber officinale, Andrographis paniculata and Tinospora crispa Miers on D. immitisin vitro at different concentrations; 10 mg/ml, 1 mg/ml, 100 μg/ml, 10 μg/ml and 1 μg/ml within 24 h, by evaluation of relative microfilarial motility as a measure of microfilaricidal activity. All extracts showed microfilaricidal activity with Z. officinale exhibiting the strongest activity overall, followed by A. paniculata and T. crispa Miers. It is speculated that the microfilaricidal mechanism exhibited by these extracts is via spastic paralysis based upon direct observation of the microfilarial motility.
I do appreciate you pulling up all of these studies, some of which I have seen, but I don't see any about poultry and the various worms they get. your comment :
Quote: is not true... I have searched high and low for these studies and have not found any about poultry and the worms that poultry get.

As for you feeling comfortable letting your birds eat whatever they want, that's fine, but can you really says that it's okay for other people's poultry to eat rhubarb?

-Kathy

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom