Dead baby duck

beccaw4

Hatching
May 20, 2015
I'm heartbroken, I had two ducklings who were my babies, I was planning on having them live by the pond without a fence. Since they are only about six weeks old I was letting them out during the day and taking them in at night. Today I found one of my babies with its head partially crushed. It was around 3 in the afternoon and the only thing around was a wild drake. Could he be the killer? Needless to say I'm quite heartbroken and just want to know what happened

I'm heartbroken, I had two ducklings who were my babies, I was planning on having them live by the pond without a fence. Since they are only about six weeks old I was letting them out during the day and taking them in at night. Today I found one of my babies with its head partially crushed. It was around 3 in the afternoon and the only thing around was a wild drake. Could he be the killer? Needless to say I'm quite heartbroken and just want to know what happened
I am so sorry to hear this. It could very well have been the drake bit the ducklings head and crushed it. Drakes can be seriously violent to any other duck. I had two drakes once with plenty of females that went at it so violently that I had to get rid of one of them. For some reason male ducks and chickens can't seem to co-exist with one another. I know some people have no problem but my experience has been either only one male or none.

Thanks for your help. I'll have to keep a better guard out. I really didn't expect such violence from a random wild duck.

Back
Top Bottom