Dead Barred Rock

jlangridge

Chirping
Jun 24, 2021
Good morning all! I had a barred rock hen (just over a year old) that recently passed away and her sister is starting to slow down so I want to help her before she croaks too *sigh*😮‍💨. Maria (the deceased) was open mouth breathing, had stopped laying for about a week and a half to two weeks, her poop looked basically like water, clear and all. She wasnt eating or drinking I don't think (i syringe fed her sloppy food and some electrolytes but I think I was too late?). It has been 30+ degrees celcius here so I gave her a cool bath in epsom salt water and that helped her to stop open mouth breathing but every time she took a breath, her vent would pucker (is that normal?). The run has lots of shade areas, I have been giving electrolytes in the waterer, i would spray the ground down and leave the hose on to mist them if they'd like, give them frozen vegetable treats. I'm wondering if maybe she suffered heat exhaustion? Egg bound? Her sister hasnt laid in a couple weeks either. She has a poopy butt. One or two of my other hens also have poopy butts. Any insight? I dont have a ton of chicken experience and I'm feeling weary😭

I had a Sapphire Gem hen do the same thing last week! I still have on hen that has a poopy butt but am wondering if I should give them all some Corid but was told that was for chicks only. I have NO poutry vets areound me and cant drive 8 hours to a vet in the southern part of Illinois. I now have another hen with greenish runny poop that smells horrible!

Back
Top Bottom