Dead Buff Orpington

hillaryg

Hatching
Mar 20, 2016
California
I came home to find one of my buff orpingtons dead. She was laying down on her fenced in area and just didn't look right. I checked her over and there is no blood. She has access to clean water and food. She was not acting strange and laid an egg yesterday and today I believe. She was 5 months old and my first chicken to die :( doesn't help that my 6 year old found her.

Should I be worried? Does this just happen or was she ill? Should I throw out the eggs I've collected from her this week?

I came home to find one of my buff orpingtons dead. She was laying down on her fenced in area and just didn't look right. I checked her over and there is no blood. She has access to clean water and food. She was not acting strange and laid an egg yesterday and today I believe. She was 5 months old and my first chicken to die
sad.png
doesn't help that my 6 year old found her.

Should I be worried? Does this just happen or was she ill? Should I throw out the eggs I've collected from her this week?

I'm sorry for your loss.

There is no way to tell the cause of death without a necropsy.

Chickens have been known to just die. She may have had a stroke or heart attack. You just never know.

If you do find that more die in short order, then you will need to investigate further.

Back
Top Bottom