Dead Chick at 10 weeks

jmarsh

In the Brooder
Apr 29, 2019
Hello all. We came home from vacation today and found our ten week old Lavender Orpington dead in the coop. There are no marks at all, it just looks like she dropped dead. I did notice some poop on her rear end but that’s all. The chicken sitter she was acting fine the whole time. It has been in the mid 80s, but they are free range and have plenty of places to stay cool. We are just wondering what could have happened. This is our first time raising hens so we are mystified. Thanks in advance!

hello @jmarsh ; welcome to BYC :frow
sorry for your loss :hugs
It could have been many things. You may get better replies if you repost in the 'emergencies' forum, providing as much detail as possible about the bird and your location - it helps the knowledgeable folk pin down the possibilities. And add whether there are any others showing any sort of symptoms.

Hello all. We came home from vacation today and found our ten week old Lavender Orpington dead in the coop. There are no marks at all, it just looks like she dropped dead. I did notice some poop on her rear end but that’s all. The chicken sitter she was acting fine the whole time. It has been in the mid 80s, but they are free range and have plenty of places to stay cool. We are just wondering what could have happened. This is our first time raising hens so we are mystified. Thanks in advance!
Could have been a number of things.
Best bet is something spooked her and she flew into something breaking her neck or heart attack.

I have been raising chickens for years now, and I have noticed that often times you can loose a chick in the first 2-3 days. A failure to thrive - probably a genetic issue. But I have also noticed, not real often, but often enough to notice it, that somewhere around 8-10 weeks, you will sometimes find a bird that dropped dead. I have always assumed a small heart issue, which was not a real problem when the chick was small, but as the bird grew, the demands grew on it too, and at one point, it is too much.

I think probably either a heart issue or something like it.

Mrs K

I have been raising chickens for years now, and I have noticed that often times you can loose a chick in the first 2-3 days. A failure to thrive - probably a genetic issue. But I have also noticed, not real often, but often enough to notice it, that somewhere around 8-10 weeks, you will sometimes find a bird that dropped dead. I have always assumed a small heart issue, which was not a real problem when the chick was small, but as the bird grew, the demands grew on it too, and at one point, it is too much.

I think probably either a heart issue or something like it.

Mrs K
Interesting observation. Huh....

I have nothing to add. I am wondering what causes it and why at 10 of so weeks....
:confused:

Only a necropsy will answer this, otherwise it's anybody's guess.
You could chill the body, wrap it in plastic, and store in the frig for several days, in case other birds also die. Then, a necropsy would be a very good idea.
Sometimes things just happen, and it's sad but can't be helped.
Mary

Back
Top Bottom