/ Dead / Chick gasping for air, Weak, Limp

LongLiveChickens

In the Brooder
May 9, 2022
I just wanted to post that i had a 3 day old chick die today, it would spaz out randomly, reach neck out, gasp nonstop when held, eyes closed, squishy, limp, couldn't stand and would just lay flat. its navel had a black outline around it with a small hole in the middle, was this mushy chick disease or yolk sack infection? it didn't poop or eat at all since it hatched. when it died it leaked out of its navel i think, and it pooped out a yellow thing?? it wasn't like poop just yellow. after dying it smelled like yolk.
how could i help/prevent this if it happens again?

It's hard to say exactly, but some chicks just don't make it. It could be an issue with incubation or hatch, sometimes it's genetic. Some of them just don't thrive, they may have deformities or abnormal development of organs that can't be seen from the outside. It could have been infection, it does sometimes happen. It's very important to sanitize/disinfect your incubator between hatches to prevent as much bacteria as you can.

It's hard to say exactly, but some chicks just don't make it. It could be an issue with incubation or hatch, sometimes it's genetic. Some of them just don't thrive, they may have deformities or abnormal development of organs that can't be seen from the outside. It could have been infection, it does sometimes happen. It's very important to sanitize/disinfect your incubator between hatches to prevent as much bacteria as you can.
it was hatched by my hen, i didn't use an incubator if that means anything. when he first hatched he was fine?.. I was feeding him water before he died, i hope i didn't cause it. it wouldn't drink or eat. before i tried feeding it he was already super weak. :(

it was hatched by my hen, i didn't use an incubator if that means anything. when he first hatched he was fine?.. I was feeding him water before he died, i hope i didn't cause it. it wouldn't drink or eat. before i tried feeding it he was already super weak. :(
would it be bad to burry the chick nearby the coop?

Back
Top Bottom