Dead chicken incineration

thatfarmer

Hatching
Sep 14, 2016
I've had several of my chickens die in the last few days.This has been very sad time for me,but the time has come to dispose the bodies.Burial is not an option,as the soil around my house is very rocky,and scavengers will probably dig up the corpses in a few days.I have been looking into incineration,but don't know where to start.If I just wing it(pun not intended),I will almost certainty end with either a out-of-control fire or incompletely burned bodies.The pet cremation service will not take agricultural animals. What should I do?

UPDATE:Small scale burning is legal in my city.Also,my land is pretty separated from the rest of the town.
The solid waste dept. will not accept the bodies due to biohazard concerns.

Last edited:
Idk your state laws but in Missouri you are allowed to just put them deep in the woods away from anything and let the scavengers take care of them. You can double bag them and put them in the trash. I have burned dead chickens and it wasn't horrible but really not for me

We are not allowed to dispose of dead animals at our dump. And, we are not rural enough that I could just dump the remains in the woods. But, that would make it so very easy! So, I have to dig holes. My lawn has spots where the grass is very green!

I recently had a hen die and I double-bagged her and put her in the trash. Other than my personal guilt (because she was a gorgeous, friendly hen) I didn't think twice about whether the people at the dump would figure out where the double-bagged dead chicken came from. I figure with all the illegal crap people are throwing away, my deceased chicken didn't seem like that big of a deal. We do have a yard where she could be buried, but we're one dead animal away from being a full on Pet Cemetery, so I'm afraid to dig down for fear of hitting any of the past pets :(

After the soil microbes have done their work, all you are likely to find anywhere, even if the spot was recently used, is a bunch of bones. Have some compassion for the folks who do the tireless and thankless job of working in the compacting shed, and dispose of your animals properly. They have those regulations in place for a reason, mainly to keep disease from being spread to animals and people alike. It's not a matter of them figuring out who did it, but a matter that it was done in the first place.

Hmmm....I've often wondered about burning them.
I imagine it would be best to get a good, hot wood fire going well before adding a carcass, and have plenty more dry wood to add until carcass is burned up.
Yeah, burning feathers are gonna stink big time...but the rest might just be like a BBQ gone bad.

I have 15 acres of woods and just toss any deceased bird and/or slaughtering remains out in the woods far from yard areas.

I have a neighbor with birds and when he loses one he'll build a pretty good size bonfire. Once the fire is good and hot, with plenty of air flow below, he'll throw the dead bird on there. By the next morning there's very little left.

We have a VERY hard clay/rocky soil where we're at and digging a proper hole is a monumental task. I've buried 4 of my original 5 (#5 still going strong) and she'll get a burial as well...but the new batch I think will be destined for the bonfire. I like to think of it as a viking funeral...

I know it's weird to some, but I can't just bag them and throw them away after they've been pets and fed the family for so many years...but I understand where others wouldn't have the same feelings or ability to use the burn method.

Back
Top Bottom