Dead Chicken

M Brennen

Songster
Jun 15, 2020
Northern Vermont
This morning I went out to my coop at 7:30 ands all the birds seemed fine. I went out again at 10:30 and found one of my buffs dead next to the nesting boxes. No signs of any injuries, no blood, feet cold and comb blue. She was still molting and a bit thin. Any idea what might have happened? My best guess is heart attack or embolism. Is this common? She was only 15 months old.

Heart Attacks are common. There's also some weird phenomena going on that has been dubbed, Sudden Hen Death Syndrome.

It also causes the blue/purple skin same as a heart attack does.

Heart Attacks are common. There's also some weird phenomena going on that has been dubbed, Sudden Hen Death Syndrome.

It also causes the blue/purple skin same as a heart attack does.
I wondered about that, but in reading, it seems broilers are more prone to that. This bird was quite thin. I have been feeding 18% protein because of the molt. There is always plenty of food available in my coop. She may have been one of my broody birds that seemed to eat the shavings. Sometimes it’s difficult to tell which bird is which, but I will occasionally pull a bird that shows obvious signs of injury or stress, but this one didn’t indicate any obvious issue to me.

I wondered about that, but in reading, it seems broilers are more prone to that. This bird was quite thin. I have been feeding 18% protein because of the molt. There is always plenty of food available in my coop. She may have been one of my broody birds that seemed to eat the shavings. Sometimes it’s difficult to tell which bird is which, but I will occasionally pull a bird that shows obvious signs of injury or stress, but this one didn’t indicate any obvious issue to me.
I feed 20% all flock pellets. This allows me to not have to increase protien intake during molt, occasionally there's those who need a bit of a boost, so I mix in a cup, or two of 22% meat bird crumble if needed.

What breeds are your birds?

I know you said one of your Buffs, but not what sure what you're referring too.

Buff Orpingtons, or Golden Buffs(Aka: Golden Comets?)

This JUST happened to one of our 19 month old Plymouth Barred Rocks. Exactly the same story: she seemed absolutely fine yesterday. She just finished her first molt. Super healthy looking and acting girl, if a bit chonky as opposed to thin. Found her dead in the coop this afternoon laying down right outside the laying boxes on the hay flooring. Zero sign of infection or injury. And we kind of spoil our girls. They eat well, get lots of exercise, lots of fresh water, clean run and coop…..makes no sense? Everyone else in our small flock looks fine. We can’t figure out what happened?

Back
Top Bottom