Dead chicken

stellarules

Hatching
10 Years
Dec 28, 2009
I woke to find my 1.5 year old Barred Rock dead this morning. She had been looking bad a few weeks ago loosing weight and molting but had finally started acting like her old self. She even had gained her weight back. Now she's dead. My Americauna is molting and the weather is turning cold here in Minnesota! Is it usual to molt this late in the season or is she sick too?

Quote:
I'm sorry you lost your Barred Rock. Chickens normally molt this time of the year; they slack off eating, stop laying eggs and can be grumpy. Mine are finishing up their molts, thankfully. Sounds like there might have been something else that couldve caused her death....perhaps lice or mites, I'm not sure. I recommend that you inspect your Americuana for them just in case. Good luck.

I live in Minnesota also. This is my first year with chickens and mine seem fine. The weather did get cold really quickly and we had ice, so not sure if your hens got wet or chilled suddenly, which I am told is bad. I have just recently covered their ourside run wtih clear plastic and plugged my electric waterer in. Good luck with your hens.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom