Dead chicken

bantamcrazy

In the Brooder
5 Years
Mar 2, 2014
Northern Illinois
I had a barred rock hen die last night. She was put in a rehab coop a month or two ago because of a broken leg but since then she had barely eaten or drank anything at all. We noticed about a week before she died that one of her eyes was very crusty. I have a leg horn hen that just lost both of her feet to frostbite in a cage right next to the one that just died and she has barely eaten anything in the last week. Does anyone know if this could be the cause of a disease that is spreading and how I could stop it before it kills the rest of my flock?

If you still have the chicken's body, then you could get a necropsy done by your state vet. Are you sure the chickens had a broken leg? Mycoplasma synoviae (which is similar to MG or CRD) will affect the bones of chickens causing secondary infection that can spread throughout the body. That would be one I would worry about since it can make carriers of the flock. Mareks disease may be another cause. Other than that I would make sure the chicken has been wormed, has no lice or mites, and check the crop in early morning to make sure it is emptying, and not impacted. Here is a link for your state vet for a necropsy or to ask questions.

Back
Top Bottom