dead chickens. Canabalism

I am building a new coop in a new location. My barn is 120 years old. There are to many places where critters can get in.

Do you have any traps? I use live traps now but have used leg traps in the past buy with more people buying property and moving into our area I'm seeing more dogs and cats. I have caught a couple of cats in my live traps which I released. I have baited mine for a few nights and let the predators get used to them and take the bait then I set the trap and catch them.

Just as an aside, I doubt the cats are what is killing the chickens. More than likely they are helping polish off carcasses left by the raccoons though. They are probably hunting rodents in the barn as well. So I wouldn't be too worried about trapping or shooting the cats.

I live way out in the country. The nearest neighbor is three miles. All the cats around here are Ferrel. People from the city who no longer want their cats, come out here and toss them out. They then become Ferrel. There are as many cats as there are rabbits and predators. I will dispatch them also.

Back
Top Bottom