Dead chickens-Not a clue what did it!

artsoap

Hatching
10 Years
Apr 3, 2009
We went to let out chickens and ducks out of their coop this morning and I found a wing and three legs in with my chickens.
sad.png

It is obvious that it came off of at least two of may babies but what confuses me is who/what did it. The wing was the full wing and it looked as if it was clipped off at the body with almost surgical precision, the legs just had the bottom half and looked the same. There were no other chicken parts around except for a few feathers.

The chicks are only about 2 mos old so they are locked up at night in their coop - the only way into the thing was a gap of about 6 inches right below the roof line. And the roof angles down over the gap. I have no clue what could have done this. It is built on stilts with wood walls, floor and shingled roof. It is a very solid building. I thought of a hawk but my son said he didn't think so. I was reading other posts about predators on this board and it doesn't sound like coons.

I'm at a loss on this one. We covered the gap with chain link, I don't think anything will get in there now...... but I didn't think so before either. I am just so mad and feel like such a failure because I did not protect them well enough. I live in Southern Indiana, does anyone have ideas? Thanks so much-

6 inches seems like a large gape for several predator...

However, I know they are hundreds of people out there who have experienced similar mishaps....so I will give you a bump

I'm sorry for your loss.
hugs.gif

Quote:
I agree. It obviously has to be something that can climb. A weasel would have left the body, but drank the blood. A dog or fox would not be able to climb in and out. Don't think it was a bird either. They don't slip through cracks too well. They like to fly in and fly off with their catch.

I did not see anything on this site to help, but maybe it can help eliminate possible candidates. A 6" gap is huge for many predators.

Can you see any tracks, inside or out? A coon is almost all fur. I don't think a 6" gap would be any obstacle to a full-grown coon. Maybe a mama coon teaching her young? Maybe a bobcat. The important thing is that you have blocked off the opening.

http://osuextra.okstate.edu/pdfs/F-8204web.pdf

The thing about the opening is that its the at the top of the shed, the roof overhangs it, so you can't just see the opening. So it would have to to climb up the wall (about 8 feet, its built on stilts), climb under the roof to the gap and then a 90 degree turn to get in. I didn't find fur. claw marks on the building etc. It was almost like whatever it was just bit off the feet and took the rest of the chicken. They ate them elsewhere. Thanks so much for all of the suggestions, help and well wishes. We are off to check on them in a bit I will let you all know what happens! Thanks so much!

Back
Top Bottom