Dead chicks

Micket

Chirping
Aug 9, 2022
Sad to say yhis morning two of the four chicks which hatched on Saturday- sunday found dead this morning the other two chicks are ok
On a brighter note on checking the remaining 3 eggs in incubator notice one egg had s crack across it so gently parted it to find a healthy chick alive inside

IMG_20221011_100132.jpg

I wondered that it might be too high for them to keep warm
But when I found them they were outside the heat plate near the water
Possibly the surrounding temperature was too cold or a draft caused their death

I'm so sorry to hear two of your chicks died. It happens. Baby quail are notorious for dying.

Your set up looks pretty good. There are some things I would do a little differently. I keep the back end of my brood plate very low. The quail can regulate where they want to be. I also use a tote with a wire mesh lid, which reduces drafts.
For your set up, I would zip tie some cardboard to the sides and back.
(Edit: I just re looked at your set up and see you already did that. Duh I need my morning coffee)
If you found them near the water, it's possible they dunked their beaks too deep and aspirated. This is the main reason for deaths that I've experienced. You can try putting pebbles, small Lego pieces, or small marbles in the water so they can only get their beaks in a little.

I find that day old chicks will get lost from the heat. I will divide my brooder so they can't stray too far from the warm spot for the first day and a half. After that they ar able to find the warm side on their own.

Definitely the temperature
The other two have also died before I could adjust the brooder plate so only one left here hoping

Back
Top Bottom