Dead Chicks!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by shelby528, Feb 19, 2012.

1. shelby528

shelby528 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2009
    Ontario
    I keep opening my eggs to a wonderful drowned chick. :( or they are all crusted up! Ive hatched lots and cant seem to quit getting the 10-30 eggs that do this! ANY ADVICE?

2. Fleabuskitty

Fleabuskitty Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2011
    Drowning would probably be too high humidity and crusted up possibly shrink wrapped/low humidity?
    The last eggs I hatched (my second time hatching eggs) I couldn't seem to keep the humidity high during early incubation so it was 30-40%, and then later on it got up to about 70%. I thought I would end up with a bad hatch, but actually ended up with 5 out of 6 eggs hatching (all 5 chicks are doing well a month later). Humidity is, in my opinion, the most annoying part of incubating.
    It could also have something to do with the source of the eggs. Were they laid by your own birds? If so, maybe the breeders have some sort of nutritional deficiencies or are too old? If they were shipped, the breeders could be sick, old, have nutritional deficiencies, or shipping could have messed up the eggs.

3. FLITZ

FLITZ Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2012
    with humidity my bigest problem is getting my hygrometer reading correctly. . I calibrated.. and im just adding or subtracting what i should be...but if i put the three hygrometers in..They never say the same thing even after knowing how much off they are...i did the bag with saltwater but I have no clue what my humidity is right now...

Last edited: Feb 19, 2012
  4. stephanie1992

stephanie1992 Chillin' With My Peeps

are u sure it was drowned and not stuck?? if it was crusty it sounds like it was dry

5. AAJ

AAJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2011
    get the humidity right and turn them. howtoincubate.com

6. Tracy the chick

Tracy the chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2011
    Uk

Awe shelby big hugs..im sorry about your chicks..xxxx

7. shelby528

Aug 5, 2009
    Ontario
    See there not shrink wrapped. For the first like 15 days my humidiity is at 30%-40% then it is raise to 60-70% during hatch, And the crustiness is yellow and looks like puss..which is not and Im at a l loss. Had 2 more last night. It is mind boggling. I know where my eggs come from, I used to work at a poultry farm and I was given as much as eggs as I want. The chickens were broiler layers that I worked with so I decided to hatch a few while I worked there as well(which was allowed), I have had MANY successful hatches UNTIL I get the 20-30 eggs that like mummify so to speak in the egg. I check my eggs 10-20 a day cause we have lots of power outages where I am and when hatching begins I am right there through the whole process to MAKE SURE its all goes ok. Intervening when I have to, this hatch Ive had to hand hand well over 100 because the puss in the egg is what i believe it killing them.

But then again Im not sure its puss. I know a couple of times its been egg yolk..which is messy as hell...ughh anymore advice?

8. shelby528

Aug 5, 2009
    Ontario
    Oh btw the eggs come from hens and roosters fed layer crumb every day, fresh water supply and clean air to breathe in 12,000 in a barn with 4 barns in total. Parents are given medication such as electrolytes and immune boosters so to speak to help with the healthiest chick possible. The hatchery the eggs go to are seeming to be having the same problem!! SO FRUSTRATING!! Im up all night and all day with these little ones,...which believe me is not a bad thing but I hate having to hatch all of them..I wish some could do it on their own. I love them so much..I want to succeed at hatch...not fail :(

9. stephanie1992

stephanie1992 Chillin' With My Peeps

isnt the humidity suppose to be 30-40 percent for the first 18 days?? then 60-70 percent the last 3??? i had what u explained happen before. with the yellow stuff. my humidity was to high for a few days and then was low. it drowned the chicks and then dryed them out a little. and the servivors got stuck in there shells and died

10. shelby528

Aug 5, 2009
    Ontario
    Yeah I know what you mean. Yeah I raise it the last 3 days for hatch. its beyond frustrating

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by