Dead duckling?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by fishy_chicky, Mar 31, 2011.

1. fishy_chicky

fishy_chicky New Egg

Feb 25, 2011
    Last Wednesday, I received my order from Metzers. All seven ducklings arrived healthy and well, and were eating and drinking within seconds of putting them in the brooder.
    Almost all of them had been growing exponentially, except the runner duck, who seemed to be remaining small and sleeping a lot. I figured that this was just because it's a smaller breed, but now I'm not so sure, because she died this morning.

I really don't have a clue why she died. She was drinking and I think she was eating (although I'm not entirely sure). She was preening and playing with the other ducklings, right up until last night. During swim time, I noticed that she wasn't enjoying the water nearly as much as she had been previously (she wouldn't even try to swim. She just stood there in the shallow end while the others raced around her), so I took her out, dried her off, and put her back in the brooder. In the brooder, she pretty much collapsed, just laid down and started cleaning herself off--she was also trying to spread oil from her oil gland, but she did it all laying down.

By the time I went to bed (around midnight), she seemed to be doing well again, and was up drinking. By the time my brother got up this morning (around 6:30), she was dead.

She had also been breathing fine, with no wheezing or "panting". I don't know what could have killed my duckling. Does anybody have any ideas?

2. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    Sometimes they do just hatch weaker- and shipping can have an awful toll on their little bodies. They dont always die straight away either but can hang on for as long as they can take- just like your little one. So sorry you had to have that happen. But it doesnt have to mean that the remaining ducklings are at risk.

Welcome to BYC by the way....sorry your first post here couldnt have been a more positive one.

3. Duck Mad

Duck Mad Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2011
    Rugby
    it seems sad stories like this happen quiet a bit, maybe its the traverling being knocked about at some point causing internal problems.. Sounds like the whole traveling thing needs investigating by suppliers etc... Like owners havent done anything wrong, and no doubt blaming themselves etc... Please people make sure you get on to suppliers

4. Crayonsmom

Crayonsmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2009
    MA
    Probably traveling stress, hatching weak, or a combo. Every time we've ordered ducks, we've had at least one die from exposure or weakness. Last year McMurray's added an extra one. A little runt. He ended up going splay legged as well. I gave him some little hobbles, put him near the food and water and under the light, but he was just too weak to get up any more and didn't make it. [​IMG] It's sad. At least he went in his sleep. The poor thing was sitting in the freezer for awhile until we figured out what to do with him. [​IMG]

5. firsthouse_mp

firsthouse_mp Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2009
    NorthernCal
    I had two who died just like yours...it was like a "failure to thrive". They seemed fine for the first 24 hours then went downhill. I was able to keep one alive for another week, but she too died. It's so hard when that happens!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by