Dead hen, no signs of injury

elrod

In the Brooder
10 Years
Aug 6, 2009
Wilson Oklahoma
I got home from work yesterday and found one of my 6 month old hens dead. There were no injury and no signs of a preditor attack. The flock is healthy and started laying in oct. Should I be concerned about a disease? Could she have been egg bound? I just want to take measures so I don't loose any more girls.

i had the same thing happen to me with a bantam rooster. It had no injury and it was just laying on the roost dead. I also had a hen do it. I ask my grandfather (is 79 years old and had chickens his whole life) if he had ever seen that happen He said yes, once in a wile they will die like some humans just up and die. maybe that wast what happen but our stories are similar.

I had the same thing in a 8 month old BR hen. Fine and then not so fine.... All the other hens are just fine... Sorry for your loss.

sad.png
Me too! One of my Buff Orpingtons died during the night about 2 months ago from apparently nothing. She had even layed an egg the previous day.

sounds like we have all lost at least one healthy bird for no aparent reason. Do I need to medicate the rest of the flock or just cross my fingers? Just frustrated, When you do it all right, spare no expense, and you still loose one. Thanks for all the responses.
he.gif

I wouldn't medicate them. It happened to me too last month. I found a BA dead in the morning under the roost. Like you, I was concerned that there may have been an illness going around. I just watched them and all have been fine. Alot of the members here told me sometimes it just happens, but do watch.

Back
Top Bottom