1. sillyovrsilkies

sillyovrsilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2010
    Bluegrass State
    I had a year old hen that had been sort of "keeping to herself" when I let her out of the coop for a few days last week. She'd just peck around for a bit, but then I'd see her just sitting in the corner of the pen by herself. At first I thought she might be sick, but she wasn't exhibiting any symptoms. Then she appeared fine the next day and was out scratchin' with the other chickens. However, when my husband let the birds out this morning, I looked out about an hour later and there she was sitting all alone while all the other birds were back inside the coop. I went outside and put her in the coop & shut the door, but found her dead around 4:30 this evening. It was unbelievably cold here today (high in the teens). Could it simply be that it was just too cold for her??

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Possibly if she was sick the cold could have been too much. Chickens are pretty hardy when it comes to the cold. Keep an eye on the rest of your flock in case what she died from is contagious. Sorry for your loss. also usually by the time you noticed symptoms in your chickens they have been sick for awhile. just watch the others closely for simuilar symptoms. [​IMG]

3. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I'm so sorry for your loss.

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Hows everyone doing this morning?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by