Dead hens

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jennic903, Jul 24, 2016.

1. jennic903

jennic903 New Egg

Jul 24, 2016
    Hi everyone. I'm new here but I have been reading these forums for awhile. I have a coop with 20 hens and 1 rooster in it. Yesterday morning my chickens where fine when I fed them and then by evening when I checked on them I had 5 hens had passed away. They was bleeding from the mouth only and it looked like a crime scene. Feathers was everywhere and blood spatters was on the nesting boxes and the walls. One hen was in a nesting box dead with eggs under her. Does anyone know what could have happened? It was devastating.

2. BuffOrpington88

BuffOrpington88 Non-Stop

Mar 20, 2012
    Hi! I'm sorry to hear about that. It sounds like there may have been a predator attack. Was the coop door open for the day or are there any holes where a predator could gain entry?

3. jennic903

jennic903 New Egg

Jul 24, 2016
    As far as I know there was no way anything could have got in. We very rarely let them out of the coop. I was wondering if maybe a poisonous snake may have done it. We have free range silkies with 3 day old babies and they are all fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by