Dead or alive egg?

TheyBeChillin

Chirping
Jun 5, 2022
Hello! A wren recently built a nest in our garage and laid two eggs in the nest before abandoning them. Both eggs are probably around 4-5 days old. I’ve been keeping them under the heat and turning them. I tried candling one of the eggs, and I saw what appeared to be a singular vein. However, I’m not sure, and I didn’t have anywhere else to ask. I tried to get a good photo of it. What is your opinion?

Attachments

• AC574891-06B3-463B-94EB-1D2EBCCF21B7.jpeg
    AC574891-06B3-463B-94EB-1D2EBCCF21B7.jpeg
    241.8 KB · Views: 29
Soooo, not to be Debbie downer here, but in the off chance you can get that egg to hatch... are you aware of the care of a baby wren? It literally involves eyedroppers and feedings every 15-30 minutes. It's no joke, and exhausting. I know you mean the best by giving it a try and I mean no disrespect and I LOVE that you love the animals- but if the egg isn't incubated right it will come out wrong, and if it does somehow come out at all, it is going to be a lot more work than you want. Nature is tough and sometimes the best thing is to leave it be, as hard as it is for us emotional creatures.

I would highly suggest you take all that love you have and get some baby chicks or incubate your own eggs if your parents will support you. Chickens, Quails, whatever you want- they have very clear guidelines for raising that work with human schedules. :) You will have success and it will be better for all of you, promise.

This one looks like it has quit in the early stages, could you get a photo of the other egg?
It's kind of you to try and help these eggs, but you should be aware that it may be illegal to have them in possesion where you live. If they were to hatch, you would need to find a wildlife rehabber to raise the chicks-
If they're in the early stages, as harsh as it may sound, I would leave them to nature
I checked the other egg, and there wasn’t any sign of development. I guess maybe it’s just infertile?
I don’t know of any wildlife rehabbers in the area, but I can look into it. I believe there is one nearby. Maybe they’d be able to incubate the eggs too? That is, if the eggs are still alive. Thank y’all so much for your responses! 😁 I greatly appreciate it!

You sound quite smart. 1) you get nature and do your research. 2) you "get" your parents. Keep those parents happy!

You could probably make a case for a 6-egg incubator. If you live in a city, you could even make a business case to the parents that you will raise birds to sell. ;)
Thank you, and that’s a good idea! Maybe I will… I know ducklings are extremely popular for people to buy here... maybe I could suggest the idea of duck eggs! 😊

Awww... look at you, rescuing abandoned baby birds! 😇 I wish you the best of luck. I'm only familiar with chicken eggs, so I'm not sure about wren eggs. In chickens, 4-5 days is borderline early to check for health of eggs. Some develop faster than others. You said you're "keeping them under the heat" and turning them. What heat source? Is it an incubator? For chickens, at least, the temp needs to be consistent at about 99.5 degrees F, and humidity at 50% +/- until a few days before hatching, then increase to 70% and don't turn them.

Thank you so much for responding! I don’t have an incubator, no, but I did have a heater from when I used it for baby chicks. I know it’s not best. However, I’m under 18, and my parents didn’t want me to get a incubator because we don’t really expect the eggs to make it. I have a thermometer down there that reads about 99-104 degrees Fahrenheit. The humidity is roughly 58%. They’ve been outside in the garage where it ranges from 85-95 degrees, so I thought that, that might cause the eggs to have slower development.

Hello! A wren recently built a nest in our garage and laid two eggs in the nest before abandoning them. Both eggs are probably around 4-5 days old. I’ve been keeping them under the heat and turning them. I tried candling one of the eggs, and I saw what appeared to be a singular vein. However, I’m not sure, and I didn’t have anywhere else to ask. I tried to get a good photo of it. What is your opinion?
This one looks like it has quit in the early stages, could you get a photo of the other egg?
It's kind of you to try and help these eggs, but you should be aware that it may be illegal to have them in possesion where you live. If they were to hatch, you would need to find a wildlife rehabber to raise the chicks-
If they're in the early stages, as harsh as it may sound, I would leave them to nature

Soooo, not to be Debbie downer here, but in the off chance you can get that egg to hatch... are you aware of the care of a baby wren? It literally involves eyedroppers and feedings every 15-30 minutes. It's no joke, and exhausting. I know you mean the best by giving it a try and I mean no disrespect and I LOVE that you love the animals- but if the egg isn't incubated right it will come out wrong, and if it does somehow come out at all, it is going to be a lot more work than you want. Nature is tough and sometimes the best thing is to leave it be, as hard as it is for us emotional creatures.

I would highly suggest you take all that love you have and get some baby chicks or incubate your own eggs if your parents will support you. Chickens, Quails, whatever you want- they have very clear guidelines for raising that work with human schedules. :) You will have success and it will be better for all of you, promise.
I don’t think you’re being a Debby Downer. It’s concerns I’ve already thought of myself. I’ve been researching everything I can about raising these birds so I know it will be quite the struggle to take care of them if they do hatch.
I already have raised some baby chicks this year, and I’m happy to say they are all doing extremely well 😊 Although incubating eggs is a fun idea, and I’d love to do it, I know my parents wouldn’t go for it. We weren’t really planning on taking care of these eggs even. We just saw the bird abandoned her nest, and since my dad loves birds he indulged the idea of me taking care of them. My mom isn’t happy about it, but she tolerates it. Thank you so much 😊

I don’t think you’re being a Debby Downer. It’s concerns I’ve already thought of myself. I’ve been researching everything I can about raising these birds so I know it will be quite the struggle to take care of them if they do hatch.
I already have raised some baby chicks this year, and I’m happy to say they are all doing extremely well 😊 Although incubating eggs is a fun idea, and I’d love to do it, I know my parents wouldn’t go for it. We weren’t really planning on taking care of these eggs even. We just saw the bird abandoned her nest, and since my dad loves birds he indulged the idea of me taking care of them. My mom isn’t happy about it, but she tolerates it. Thank you so much 😊

You sound quite smart. 1) you get nature and do your research. 2) you "get" your parents. Keep those parents happy!

You could probably make a case for a 6-egg incubator. If you live in a city, you could even make a business case to the parents that you will raise birds to sell. ;)

Back
Top Bottom