Dead pullet

At that age and then at the one year mark I've seen posts where their seemingly healthy hens spontaneously pass. She may have had a bad heart. If you rule out predator attack then that's what could have happened.

I agree with the others though, chicken wire doesn't protect them

So it wasn't a predator or natural cause. It's either the rooster or my hen Floppy that killed my pullet. I moved another hen in there after my barred rock passed (this hen and Floppy were raised together and already use to eachother). Everything had been fine for almost 2 weeks. Of course there was some pecking order stuff, but everyone seemed to fall into their places fine. Well this morning I went to let them all out to free range, and I thought I had another dead hen just laying in the corner, so I went in to remove her and she was still alive. I brought her inside, but upon inspecting the others I noticed that my barred rock cockerel also had a wound on his head/neck. He won't let me catch him to clean or treat it, but he's moving around like normal. I'm just worried he's going to be next to be killed or seriously injured. I set one of my husband's trail cams up to watch the coop and see who the culprit is. I just don't understand what the problem is. Everything's been fine until 2 weeks ago

Attachments

• 20231022_131718.jpg
    20231022_131718.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 9
  • 20231022_131644.jpg
    20231022_131644.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 9
Oh geez, clean the wound with warm soapy water, then put plain Neosporin on it. Repeat for a week, twice a day. Give her sweetened water to help with shock and keep in a semi dark place for first 24 hours.

You had said the first pullet didn't have any wounds though, so I don't know that it was another hen or rooster that killed her.

Can you post pictures of your set up?

Oh geez, clean the wound with warm soapy water, then put plain Neosporin on it. Repeat for a week, twice a day. Give her sweetened water to help with shock and keep in a semi dark place for first 24 hours.

You had said the first pullet didn't have any wounds though, so I don't know that it was another hen or rooster that killed her.

Can you post pictures of your set up?
That's what I did with this hen to clean it. What kind of sweetened water?

The pullet was pecked pretty clean from the top of the chest up, she just didn't have any other wounds on her anywhere, but her whole neck to her beak was pretty well gone, just bone basically. So I'm guessing it started like this one

You might have a cannibal in your flock. Need to see your set up. How many hens to square feet?

Coconut water with molasses or maple syrup added until it's sweet when you taste it.

You might have a cannibal in your flock. Need to see your set up. How many hens to square feet?

Coconut water with molasses or maple syrup added until it's sweet when you taste it.
I have 2 hens (1 now), a rooster, a 5mo old rooster, and 3 4mo olds in there I don't remember how big the run is, I want to say 10x12..4 months ago there was a rooster, 4 hens and, and 3 chicks with no issues from anybody

Attachments

• 20231022_134627.jpg
    20231022_134627.jpg
    344.2 KB · Views: 6
  • 20231022_134823.jpg
    20231022_134823.jpg
    714.3 KB · Views: 6

Back
Top Bottom