Dead quail

adem58

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jun 19, 2012
My quails where on the grass digging and eating, then next minute, one was just lying there dead, he seemed fine before, and when I picked him up he had silva or mucus around his beak, I think he might of drowned some how, any ideas maybe how he died?

That sounds more like a poisoning than a drowning to me. Do you use any pesticides or herbicides on your grass? Are there any plants harmful to birds in your enclosure?

Alternatively, was there any loud noise or frightening event that could have caused a heart attack? An already compromised or weak heart could have simply given out if suddenly frightened.

Are the other quail all behaving normally still? Listen for any loud breathing, wheezing, coughing or glassy-eyed staring. These can all be signs of disease or being prone to seizures.

Well, hope that gives you some ideas to start to figure it out. Good luck. It sure can be frustrating losing what appears to be a perfectly healthy bird. I've had it happen many times now and it still saddens me.

I'd put them on the grass on for 10mins before but there isn't much of anything dangerous on the grass, but they where in the sun for a bit While i was looking for a sheet of plastic to cover them, but the other guys seemed fine and they have been on the grass before, and for loud noises just planes but I think there use to it. And the grass was most just clover not sure if its harmful?

It was frustrating because he was a good male that didn't make much noise and his colour was easy to sex at early age for future hatches. And makes me feel bad taking them out and that I should of just left them in the cage but they enjoy the grass and dirt on weekends lol. Thanks for the info:).

Last edited:
Maybe he got stung by some insect?

I had a similar thing happen with one of my diamond doves. They were all really healthy and lively. Then one day I changed their water, turner around to get their food, and when I turned back one was laying on the cage floor and would not move.

I picked her up and she had nasty smelling runny clear slime coming from her beak and back end. She died a few minutes later. It was so strange as she was 100 percent healthy one moment before.

The others are still with me one year later, and they never got sick.

I don't think so, because there isn't many insects around maybe a bee, but I couldn't see any around.

Back
Top Bottom