Dead teal,...help?

A gross necropsy may night find anything, but that doesn't mean squat, especially if you're not taking the dead birds to a vet well versed in avian diseases. Next time you lose a bird put it in the fridge and get it to the vet for a necropsy AND pathology ASAP. The vet will take organ samples which will be sent off to a pathology lab which will in turn send the vet the results which he/she can interpret for you. This is not as cheap as guessing as to the cause of death but it's a heck of a lot more helpful in preventing future deaths. Once you start getting pathology reports on dead birds you start to identify the primary 'killers' in your flock and you can do something to break the pattern.

If you can't afford to do the pathology, be extra diligent about two things: crowding and hygiene.

Feeding free choice is the way to go with wild ducks, but I wouldn't feed more than the birds can clean up in a day.

DT

Dr. Todd :

A gross necropsy may night find anything, but that doesn't mean squat, especially if you're not taking the dead birds to a vet well versed in avian diseases. Next time you lose a bird put it in the fridge and get it to the vet for a necropsy AND pathology ASAP. The vet will take organ samples which will be sent off to a pathology lab which will in turn send the vet the results which he/she can interpret for you. This is not as cheap as guessing as to the cause of death but it's a heck of a lot more helpful in preventing future deaths. Once you start getting pathology reports on dead birds you start to identify the primary 'killers' in your flock and you can do something to break the pattern.

If you can't afford to do the pathology, be extra diligent about two things: crowding and hygiene.

Feeding free choice is the way to go with wild ducks, but I wouldn't feed more than the birds can clean up in a day.

DT

Thanks Dr T!

I'm changing my feeding program!
May I ask, what type of feeder do you use?​

Quote:
Yep thats is biggest cause I've found for extreme weight loss worms will cause slow weight loss over a longer period of time. We have experienced this from time to time but if we keep the rodents at bay it pretty much goes away. All of our pens have self feeders that are filled weekly, they are up off the ground setting on an inch and a half boards in this space under the feeder we keep rat poision which is checked weekly as well. Since starting this we have had no rat or mouse problems at all. Just make sure the birds can'tet to the poision.

That sounds great! Can you give me any details on your feeders; type, etc? I really think my approach to their feed has been all wrong, and I want to learn to do better!

Ours are made from plywood and 2x6 then lined with aluminum to keep the feed from absorbing moisture through the wood I will post pic when I get time. These are set on 16x16 patio pavers in the front and a 2x4 in the back keeping them off the ground and leaving a space under the feeder. Ours hold 25 pounds of feed we have fed like this for years and have good success with feeding this way.

We use black plastic 'boot' trays intended to keep muddy and snowy boots off the floor. This keeps any spilled feed in the tray and keeps the dirt off the feed. They're easy to clean and for less than $10.00 they're easy to replace when needed.

I would think that it is a little cold for intestinal worms to be completing their life cycles this time of year.
I would attribute it more to a contagion of some kind that is going through your birds. But really, its all speculation over the intenet anyway, your vet should be able to tell you if he/she saw worms in the intestinal tracts. Our state poultry lab prefers you bring them live sick birds to test because there are some things that do not show up once a bird has been dead for a while and either frozen or put in the fridge.

Back
Top Bottom