1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Deadly Nightshade!

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by JerseyGiantfolk, Jan 12, 2012.

1. JerseyGiantfolk

JerseyGiantfolk Overrun With Chickens

Jan 12, 2012
    My chickens love deadly nightshade! They devour ripe berries. I thought they'd get sick (because it's deadly) but instead they prefer it more than mustard plant and pumpkin seeds. Does anyone know if it has some sort of vitamins in it that help the chickens?

2. CluckyJay

CluckyJay Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2011
    Crossville, Tennessee
    We have that all over the place. The goats don't seem to touch it but the chickens have pecked it a few times. We have datura, too.

3. JerseyGiantfolk

Jan 12, 2012
    They'll only eat the ripe berries just like ripe tomatoes

4. flgardengirl

flgardengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2009
    Sunny side up :)
    I've seen wild birds and even the chickens eat seeds from Datura which is poisonous and in the Solanaceae
    family. None ever seemed to have any problems. It must just pass through. I wouldn't go planting it in thier runs or anything though lol.

5. JerseyGiantfolk

Jan 12, 2012
    Yeah! I wonder if it changes egg taste because I've still had their eggs and no problem. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by