Dealing with a loner hen

charliebucket

Hatching
Apr 19, 2017
WYO
I have one hen who is a loner in a coop of 5 ladies. She was getting pecked by one hen and I think that I have taken care of that since it hasn't happened for a week. However she doesn't get to roost with the other 4 and has to sleep on the ramp even tho she is always the first in the coop and up on the roost. Once the other birds come in she ends up on the ramp for the night.

Someone mentioned this may be a space issue so today I'm reshaping my coop to give some more space and adding another roost spot. Any advice on what I should do? Will she always be the black sheep (ironically she is the only white bird in a group of reds)? Should I make the hen that was pecking her sleep alone out of the coop a couple nights?

I don't believe she is sick because her daily routine seems normal, tho usually by herself scratching and feeding. She is the youngest but was introduced to the other 3 with another hen that is similar aged and she was raised with. The other hen has dumped her as a friend and packed up with the other 3.

Thanks in advance!

It's called the pecking order. Every flock has one, and my guess is she's at the bottom. We as humans really can't relate to the ins and outs of chicken society. Your hen has her place in the flock, she knows where it is and is acting accordingly. How big is your coop in feet by feet? How long is your roost bar? (How many feet long?) Making the more dominant bird sleep outside isn't going to make sense to her. Chickens are not feathered little humans with the capacity to figure out they're being "punished" for being a bully. Instead, I'd work on reconfiguring the coop as you planned and see how it goes from there.

I"m sure that this is what it is, just that who wants so look out and see one lonely chicken! I mean i'm a jerk in life and still don't enjoy seeing that, ha!

Back
Top Bottom