Dealing with aggressive rooster

I completely understand what all of you are going through. My husband and I have a 10 month old black giant rooster who was my baby for most of his life. Now he wont even let me in the chicken house without coming at me. Today he will not even let me open the door to the run without trying to attack me. He follows me around the outside of the run trying to attack me through the fence. Any advice would be very helpful.

I have a very large Croad Langshan rooster that became very aggressive over time. He is a bird that was inherited when my father-in-law died, and means a great deal to my husband. When he attacked me severely one day, we decided to try to reform him instead of immediately slaughter him. I started carrying a beach towel with me all over the farm. Whenever he approached me in a disrespecting manner, he was body slapped with the towel. It allowed me to extend my reach out far enough that he was never able to make contact with me. It worked great. He lost every fight, and eventually realized that I was the dominant "bird" so he stopped attacking me. It did take a long time, and it very much took consistency, but he's now a nice guy who never attacks me. He runs to me when it's feeding time, and eats out of my hand. He's not fearful of me because the towel method isn't painful or abusive -- it just denies him the win in every fight, eventually making is not worth his effort. He was also given treats for good behavior, which he eventually selected.

I've dealt with my share of aggressive roosters and rams over the years. My maxim is "I don't want to breed behavioral problems into my lines or make them someone else's problem" so they end up in the freezer sooner rather than later in most cases. IMO, an animals good physical traits never outweigh their behavioral traits when it's a safety issue like this.

I do find that the tendency to specific temperaments follows with bloodline. I had a Shetland ram I brought into the flock as a yearling--gorgeous ram with the traits I needed for the flock physically. By age two "Muttonburger" was hitting posts and fences whenever he got bored, breaking 2 x 4's and bending cattle panels into the shape of his head when he hit. By age three he was ramming the other sheep--including the ewes-- and coming after people. His sons were showing the same progression of escalating aggression. He and his male offspring made for some delicious eating. We have not had any problems with his daughters, and the sons of his daughters have been reasonable, but we still watch the sheep with the Muttonburger genetics pretty closely and make sure to breed those offspring to the most stable temperaments in the flock.

Saw the same sort of thing with the chickens. Started (as many of us do) with hatchery bantams including some RIR and quail d' Anvers. The cockerels from both of those breeds turned out the be the most psychotic birds I'd ever worked with--no amount of taming or retraining made a dent in them. As with Muttonburger, you could see something in their eyes and stance that was just "off" and they were aggressive even to their hens. Once again, they ended up in the freezer sooner rather than later. Bantams, BTW, make nice single serving roasters....

Bottom line, it's always up to the individual flock keeper to decide how to manage aggressive roosters. You have to weigh the risks and benefits of your decision and act accordingly. What works for my flock setting or breeding program may not work for you.

Catherine

My wife and I have posted about one of our roosters multiple times. We both use the Silly Rooster account.

We have two Rhode Island Reds. Both are handsome roos. We rescued them from an unknown fate from our neighbor. They are Bo and Luke (Bo and Luke Duke). They are polar opposites. Luke is very aggressive. I ended up building a coop just for him. A project that I documented on this site.

Bo and Luke each have their own flock. We will be adding four more hens to Luke's little harem today. Luke and his girls will spend most of their time in the run. The coop is pretty big, and I will make the run as large as I can and move it around. As my father-in-law stated, "you can't be angry at a rooster for being a rooster". It's true. I think it's by the grace of god that I haven't snapped Luke's neck when he first started attacking me. Even Bo has jumped at me a few time. Even today, about an hour ago. I learned on here that I need to stand my ground. Wave my arms and chase him down, pick him up if I can.

Luke attacked my wife a couple times, which she posted about it on this site. Luke is now an "indoor rooster" confined to his coop/run because we can't trust him not to attack any and everyone.

I bought Cream Legbar eggs online and 2 hatched, a beautiful hen and a rooster. Its been 3 weeks now and the rooster started chest bumping the hen, then he started pecking her and standing all over her. Now he pecks my hand whenever I change the water or put more feed in the feeder. I separated them because she was getting beat up. If its this bad at three weeks I can';t imagine how he'll be once grown. I had a rooster before that would attack my little girl on the swingset in the backyard. That was 30 years ago. I thought it would be nice to have some babies but now I'm not so sure. I have some Seramas in the incubator and I've heard that they can be sweet, now to find a home for this bad boy. Any ideas? I don't like the culling process.

At 3 weeks old the chest bumping is "play", male and female chicks will both do this. The pecking thing is him learning how to establish the pecking order, again male and female chicks will both do this. I dont think any of what you mentioned is cause for concern or a sign of a aggressive cock bird, at least not yet.

I have raised many cream legbar and for the most part males are very calm and friendly birds. My current CL male that I have is one of the best males I have ever had. Hes not the prettiest CL but he is the most awesome flock rooster i could ever ask for, i love him.

Here he is with a diverse group of hens and chicks. He accepts, watches over and protects them all. He helps care for all the chicks with every broody hen. Its the sweetest thing.

Last edited:
I just don't like the domestic violence - the poor hen cowers in the corner and the rooster corners her and pecks at her. I think he drew blood the other day. Also, it hurts when he pecks me! Chicken ownership should be painful! I work hard keeping their area clean and dry with plenty of healthy food and treats. In return I'd like a rooster that doesn't attack me, or the hens. I realize there is some violence involved in mating, that I'll tolerate to a point. I'm wondering if I posted him on Craigslist if anyone would want him? He's a nice looking bird. Just doesn't stay still long enough for me to get a good picture.

I'd like to try another breed to see if the roosters are a little more gentle.

There is a time for everything. There is a time for planting and a time for reaping... etc.

Chickens also have a time for breeding and during the late Spring or early Summer a roosters hormones are at their highest and he is more determined at that time of the year to protect his own DNA in the form of the hens and chicks in your flock.

All kicking or otherwise abusing a man fighting rooster will do is to make him sneaky or lowdown with his attacks. The exception to this rule is a highly inbred rooster who displays other behavioral problems. If your roo trusts you then everything is so much more fun.

As a breeder of game chickens over the years I have owned 1,000s of roosters and I have more than a little experience with woman and man fighting roosters.

Most human aggressive roosters are created by their owners careless actions. You can take that to the bank.

I know that it is no fun to hold a feed bucket in front of you so your rooster has an alternative target, the choice is yours.

I bought Cream Legbar eggs online and 2 hatched, a beautiful hen and a rooster. Its been 3 weeks now and the rooster started chest bumping the hen, then he started pecking her and standing all over her. Now he pecks my hand whenever I change the water or put more feed in the feeder. I separated them because she was getting beat up. If its this bad at three weeks I can';t imagine how he'll be once grown. I had a rooster before that would attack my little girl on the swingset in the backyard. That was 30 years ago. I thought it would be nice to have some babies but now I'm not so sure. I have some Seramas in the incubator and I've heard that they can be sweet, now to find a home for this bad boy. Any ideas? I don't like the culling process.
At 3 weeks of age you should expect a whole clutch (if you had that many chicks) to all be wadded up in the brooder with bloody heads.

Their little heads will be so bloody that they can barely open their eyes. A little baby oil or Vaseline smeared on their noggins will get them seeing again. After this they have decided who is the boss of who and run together peaceful until the little roosters get to about crowing size. Then they will do the whole thing again only this time without the pullets.

Young roosters or cockerels are unsure of their status and often either attack or are attacked by the females in the flock. The oldest or highest status hens are usually the last to knuckle under to the flock rooster. Just like dancing the tango it takes two, and any hen or rooster who refuses to acknowledge the higher status of another bird will be attacked on sight or at least anytime the higher status and lower status birds interact.

After all they are chickens and chickens only act like chickens. To try and bend, fold, or spindle a chicken into the shape of a little feathered human is in my opinion an inhumane act.

At 3 weeks of age you should expect a whole clutch (if you had that many chicks) to all be wadded up in the brooder with bloody heads.

Their little heads will be so bloody that they can barely open their eyes.  A little baby oil or Vaseline smeared on their noggins will get them seeing again.  After this they have decided who is the boss of who and run together peaceful until the little roosters get to about crowing size.  Then they will do the whole thing again only this time without the pullets.

Young roosters or cockerels are unsure of their status and often either attack or are attacked by the females in the flock.  The oldest or highest status hens are usually the last to knuckle under to the flock rooster.  Just like dancing the tango it takes two, and any hen or rooster who refuses to acknowledge the higher status of another bird will be attacked on sight or at least anytime the higher status and lower status birds interact. 

After all they are chickens and chickens only act like chickens.  To try and bend, fold, or spindle a chicken into the shape of a little feathered human is in my opinion an inhumane act. 

I dont think that a bloodied clutch of chicks is normal at any age or to be expected. I've raise many clutches over the years and I've never had blood drawn. With the exception of grown males attacking eachother on occassion, all of my chicks, juveniles and adults have all managed to figure out the pecking order without drawing blood.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom