Dealing with bird mites; my home, my hens, my itchyness!

Sorry to revive a new thread but for any Australians looking for an effective lice/mite treatment - we used Fido's fre-itch rinse concentrate (10g/L pyrethrins, 18g/L piperonyl butoxide, & 30g/L n-octyl bicycloheptene dicarboximide) which is safe for baby kittens, puppies, chicks as well as older animals. It was recommended by a vet who owns poultry - it is diluted and used as a bath or spray. Very cost effective with enough to make over 12L for only $11.95 (Google for online stores if your local doesn't stock it)

Last edited:
I have been having bites/sores on my lower legs for a very long time....and a few now on my arms. I didn't know what was going on. Would not heal...and would stay itchy and rounded ...and when scratched..bleed more than normal...and don't stop bleeding for some time. A thick layer of skin forms...which is rounded and still feels itchy and bothersome. sores just don't heal.

I wondered if they inject something that causes this or if they are inside my skin laying eggs or living...Why do they not heal and continue to itch.

My chickens now have mites...the three who are one yr older do not have signs of mites...but the 5 younger ones which are 1yr and 3 months old have signs of ...some worse than others and the egg laying went way down recently. and they started to peck eggs which I feel is related.

I used diatomaceous earth and it did nothing. I will try the many suggestions....like washing all clothing after getting near the coop and showering each time. I have two friends and a neighbor who had some kind of mite which drove them crazy and took a long time to get rid of. I never thought it would happen to me.

I don't want chickens any more....not with this mite problem. I will try to rid them of mites then find them homes. I'm done.

My legs are ugly with sores...and some on my arms. Itchy and especially at night. Driving me crazy. I feel bad...can't have anyone over...I am hoping my daughter does not get infected. So far she feels nothing.

Try sulfar soap. It takes a while to finally get rid of them, but it can be done. Itchiness will last for two weeks even after they are gone, but eventually if you keep up on your strict protocols of removing your clothes and washing immediately after working with chickens you can beat them. Probably best to harvest your chickens vs giving them to others. Ent give the gift that keeps on giving. All the best

I almost feel that I may have had mites before getting chickens this last time. Did you mean to kill them? is that what harvest means? It would be so hard...but this is a nightmare..and my daughter just moved home and is horrified at the thought.

What do I do with the coop? can it be cleaned and sold? or better to burn It has lots of hardware wire on it.

Would you share more details of what you think I need to do?

What is the best sulphur soap protocol?

I showered 3 times to day and also made a epson salt solution and washed it all over my body and let it dry in the sun....then I took a hot bath with epson salts.

and went into the ocean part way. It was too wild for me to go in all the way.

Thanks so much!!

MM

Sulpher soap on the hens? or just on me .

How do I treat the hens?? I have been selling the organic pasture eggs. I feed all organic. and buy good food that has diatomaceous earth in the feed

I may have had mites before the chickens had them...Is it possible they are different mites?

Hi I'm sorry if it wasn't clear. We had mites here on our farm and it was quite a challenge but we got rid of them (off us that is) and still raise chickens today. However we have changed the way we deal with them by following a strict protocol of wearing rubber boots, bagging and washing clothes after each chore and taking a complete shower using a sulfur based soap you can buy online. See link below.

http://www.amazon.com/GRISI-Sulfur-Soap-with-Lanolin/dp/B001LP64D0

This process we do after chores is a pain but it works for us and we have no more mites in our house or pestering us. If they are in your house already that can be a real process to get them out. We threw away all large fluffy items we could not wash... couch, large stuffed animals anything fluffy and big, we wrapped our mattresses in mite bags. We also purchased a modern high speed washing machine with a Sanitize mode. It spins at super high RPMs and litterally kills everything that way.

I agree you don't have to kill your chickens, but for some, this kind of effort is just too much. Another thing is we switched from diatomsious earth to wood ash, which has sulfur. You have to force the chickens until they get used to it but it has helped them. I also sprinkle throughout the layer house regularly (weekly). Make sure your ash is pure wood and not made with things that can be toxic.

Good luck and let me know. One last point is that sulfur soap will make you itchy and while you are transitioning it can feel like the soap isn't working, but it is. Sulfur has been shown to kill them 100% in laboratory tests. It is their kryptonite and will work, but be patient. I'm here if you have questions.

I will be getting my first chickens (4 an old chicks) soon. I have been reading this forum and after having gone through lice with long-haired daughters, I am scared. I would like to prevent a mite or other critter infestation before it happens. Would it be enough to dust the entire coop (wood) and run with DE and spray the cracks with neem oil? I also have oak wood ash I could use. Would this be enough?

Back
Top Bottom