Dealing with Opossums and chickens

We rarely see a snake or rodent because we have so many hawks, owls and possums hunting and killing them . Possums and other small predators can squeeze thru small openings so you need to cover your coop and run with 1/2" hardware to protect your chickens better.Chickens have poor night vision and can't escape in the dark of night.
I have mentioned this multiple times in this thread… the possum did not break in.. I had the run door open, because I was in the process of closing the chickens for the night.

I have had to deal with opossums several times over the years, and I never once killed one. It's probably not a popular opinion, but I moved into the country with a goal of living with nature -- as much as possible -- not eradicating it. In fact, when I HAD to trap rats that were getting inside my coops a few years ago, I will admit to being sorry about killing them after none of the non-lethal methods were working.

I have used a different approach with the "possums." I have live trapped and relocated them. The last one, I released in a rural cemetery so it wouldn't be near other people's homes/critters and would have plenty of shelter from trees and shrubs.. Wild things should be in wild places, and there isn't a lot of wooded area among north central Iowa's flat farmland. I had tried three times, including with a barking dog, to run off the little intruder and reached my limit when I caught it inside the duck shelter.

When I couldn't live trap possums, I have just put on heavy gloves, grabbed the critters by their tails (Yeah, it's a redneck method I learned back home; I've never come across one nimble enough to contort itself into a position to bite) and put them into dog crates for their ride to a new location.

I am sure folks will take issue with this, and that's okay. Truth be told, I kind of like the smiling little critters. Their body temperature is so low that they rarely carry rabies, and they have an incredible appetite for tick larvae. Still, I like them best at a distance from my birds.

Hope that Massachusetts possum stays away.

In most states it's illegal to relocate many critters, and it's a bad idea. 'Kindness' it ain't! In a strange location, it won't know where things are, will have local competition, and may try to get home. And is now trap wise, and loves chickens.
Here in Michigan, for example, the trapped animal can be releases on the same property, or on private land within the same county, with landowner permission. ONLY!
We also have horses, and opossums carry a bad, often fatal parasite that affects them. And they will kill chickens at night. Not welcome here at our coop or barn!!!
All raptors are federally protected in the USA, so can't be injured or killed. Keeping chickens safe is the priority, with no harm coming to any hawks, eagles, or owls.
Mary

Last edited:
In most states it's illegal to relocate many critters, and it's a bad idea. 'Kindness' it ain't! In a strange location, it won't know where things are, will have local competition, and may try to get home. And is now trap wise, and loves chickens.
Here in Michigan, for example, the trapped animal can be releases on the same property, or on private land within the same county, with landowner permission. ONLY!
We also have horses, and opossums carry a bad, often fatal parasite that affects them. And they will kill chickens at night. Not welcome here at our coop or barn!!!
All raptors are federally protected in the USA, so can't be injured or killed. Keeping chickens safe is the priority, with no harm coming to any hawks, eagles, or owls.
Mary
The laws are the same here in Florida. Yesterday I put up a motion light with a siren at the coops where I have been seeing a coyote most nights. I do have a camera out there also. I didn't see the coyote but the light and siren did go off last night from a possum snooping around. When it went off the possum sure scurried off fast.

Opossum would have a heck of a time getting into my coop/run. So, I'm inclined to let them be. Especially as I live in a lyme disease area and they help keep the tick population down
If possums are so good at eliminating ticks why are they always covered with them in the summer?

Maybe they pick some of their tail end and eat them.

I don't buy they kill venomous snakes either.

They can carry a disease that is deadly to horses.

Back
Top Bottom