Dealing with Opossums and chickens

If possums are so good at eliminating ticks why are they always covered with them in the summer?

Maybe they pick some of their tail end and eat them.

I don't buy they kill venomous snakes either.

They can carry a disease that is deadly to horses.
I can't say I've ever got close enough to check for ticks but I found a picture of one online eating a dead snake in the road. Snake venom won't kill possums at least none we have (WV)

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-02-25 at 17-08-43 possum eating snake at DuckDuckGo.png
    Screenshot 2022-02-25 at 17-08-43 possum eating snake at DuckDuckGo.png
    97.3 KB · Views: 5
If possums are so good at eliminating ticks why are they always covered with them in the summer?

Maybe they pick some of their tail end and eat them.

I don't buy they kill venomous snakes either.

They can carry a disease that is deadly to horses.
Research on possums being immune to venomous snakes has led to the development of a new anti-venom thanks to the possum. Few people can afford to be bitten by a venomous snakes. Even if a snake bite doesn't kill you you can lose limbs or suffer from permanent deformities. https://www.medicaldaily.com/opossu...-new-route-treating-deadly-snake-bites-326678

That was according to research. The bulk of people, even on BYC (from what I understand) that have experienced possums breaking in to the coop, have realized they do not usually go for the adult chickens, but rather the chicks, eggs, and leftover feed.

Is it legal to kill wildlife like that? I’ve attempted to kill a hawk that hurt its wings while going for our chooks, and someone on BYC notified me saying it’s illegal to do so.

If it’s legal, I’d gladly do so. Rather be safe than sorry.

Thanks for your response!
Possums are considered varmints. You can dispatch them. They will indeed kill and maim adult chickens. One played dead in a corner of my coop before. I used a shovel to push it out. My husband picks them up by the tail and removes them.

In my experience Possums don’t actually eat chickens. However, they do love eggs and will gladly kill the chicken and gut it to get them. We lost quite a few birds to possums before we predator-proofed our coop. …none since.

Back
Top Bottom