Dealing with Opossums and chickens

Pics
In many areas, it is illegal to move vermin to another area. In Nohio, you either release them on your own property or dispatch them. To do otherwise is simply making your problem someone else's problem.
^^^

Even if not illegal, its irresponsible. Your property, your problem. Respect for your privacy on your property keeps good neighbors from paying too much attention to how you solution problems on your property.

"Rehoming" just inflicts a potential disease vector on others, and places their own animals at risk. Then there is a problem. Not between you and your possum, but between you and your community, whose own property you have disrespected.

None of those buried in the rural cemetery where I recently released an opossum -- out in the middle of nowhere, in the center of miles of farm fields but with no residential or ag buildings close -- has objected to having a common Iowa mammal in their midst.

I have been asked if I am proud of myself, and I have to say, I would not be proud of myself for killing an animal that has the potential to BUT has never harmed any of my non-native poultry. I can't justify killing it for the "crime" of living and breathing; maybe that makes me irresponsible.

None of those buried in the rural cemetery where I recently released an opossum -- out in the middle of nowhere, in the center of miles of farm fields but with no residential or ag buildings close -- has objected to having a common Iowa mammal in their midst.

I have been asked if I am proud of myself, and I have to say, I would not be proud of myself for killing an animal that has the potential to BUT has never harmed any of my non-native poultry. I can't justify killing it for the "crime" of living and breathing; maybe that makes me irresponsible.
I grew up, on a farm, 9.5 miles NW of Marengo (county seat of Iowa County). Most "rural cemeteries" are located close to where a church once stood. My grandparents are buried, in a family plot, at a former church located, in a town that no longer exists, although at one time it had a creamery, blacksmith shop, bakery, and general store. That would define many "rural cemeteries".

In other words, you illegally trespassed onto private property and set vermin free, in an area that a civilized person would show respect.

Whether there are buildings located close by, you criminally trespassed. And, you actually seem to be proud of breaking the law.

I did not say I was proud of myself or of breaking any law; I think you are reading something into my actions that I did not intend. Much of my family is also buried in rural cemeteries, and I did nothing to disrespect the graves of anyone. I do consider myself a "civilized person," and you clearly do not.

However, you seem to want to take issue with me, and that is your right. You won't change your mind about me, so I see no point in continuing this exchange.

I did not say I was proud of myself or of breaking any law; I think you are reading something into my actions that I did not intend. Much of my family is also buried in rural cemeteries, and I did nothing to disrespect the graves of anyone. I do consider myself a "civilized person," and you clearly do not.

However, you seem to want to take issue with me, and that is your right. You won't change your mind about me, so I see no point in continuing this exchange.
Neither do I, as there is no reason to communicate with criminals (trespassing is a criminal offense), much less defiling a cemetery by dumping an opossum.

Others noted experiences aside my neighborhood possum population has typically stayed in check. I have found two in the past 8 years of chicken ownership inside the coop, one of which was caught red (or yellow) handed eating eggs in a nesting box, but none seem to have gone after my adults. Both of those found in the coop were given the 3S treatment.

Keep an eye on your coop and maybe add a camera or two to keep watch when you cannot. I have found that they come around and leave not to be seen again for days/weeks.

I keep a very clean and secure coop, food supply, and run area so typically there is no reason for them to return regularly unless they are passing through.

Now the area raccoons and foxes are another story.

Yesterday night I saw a possum making his way toward the coop. Luckily I stopped him by flashing my flashlight at him and he retreated.
Today, I saw him in the run, next to the coop opening, and he began to play dead. All the chickens are safe and sound.

He is playing dead, not moving, and not reacting to loud noises or anything like that.

How did I get him out of the run so that both he and I are safe?
He won’t budge.

How do I prevent opossums from coming back? I know they generally do not harm chickens, but I do not want to risk it.

When I first saw him, he had a bone in his mouth, probably from the chickens’ leftovers. He was going for the meat and bone left in the run, so luckily that distracted him a little bit so he didn’t get into the coop at all.

And advice and suggestions are greatly appreciated.
View attachment 3001110
View attachment 3001111
View attachment 3001112

View attachment 3001113
@aart @azygous @U_Stormcrow

Call Northwoods Law. If you did manage to get a fish-and-game person to come take it they would dump it off in a wildlife reserve somewhere..

That looks like a youg one; probably trying to sort out it's territory. I'd smack it around with a stick until it runs off. If it plays dead then put a loop around its neck and drag it off. If it comes back, repeat. Opossum are slow and sometimes they don't take a hint at first.

Once a predators killed your chickens and got a free meal it will teach all its young where to hunt too. The number of predators you have will only increase with time because their offspring will begin hunting your chickens soon as they're on their own. Unless you do regular maintenance on your coops and runs and increase security measures as needed they will kill every chicken you get. I've read horrible stories here about people losing hundreds chickens because predators got inside their coops at night.Trapping possums and hauling them off doesn't solve anything. Its like putting a band aid on a cut artery.

Back
Top Bottom