Dealing with Opossums and chickens

Pics
Yesterday night I saw a possum making his way toward the coop. Luckily I stopped him by flashing my flashlight at him and he retreated.
Today, I saw him in the run, next to the coop opening, and he began to play dead. All the chickens are safe and sound.

He is playing dead, not moving, and not reacting to loud noises or anything like that.

How did I get him out of the run so that both he and I are safe?
He won’t budge.

How do I prevent opossums from coming back? I know they generally do not harm chickens, but I do not want to risk it.

When I first saw him, he had a bone in his mouth, probably from the chickens’ leftovers. He was going for the meat and bone left in the run, so luckily that distracted him a little bit so he didn’t get into the coop at all.

And advice and suggestions are greatly appreciated.
View attachment 3001110
View attachment 3001111
View attachment 3001112

View attachment 3001113
@aart @azygous @U_Stormcrow
Sorry but short of adding a couple strands of electric fence around this run you won't be able to keep possums or other predators out . As is it isn't tall enough and anything small can squeeze thru the mesh holes.Good luck!

People are not reading through the other posts.

The possum did NOT “invade” into the run/coop- the run door was wide open.

My original question was how to deter possums.

I am grateful for all the responses! Thanks everyone!
Not sure advise is needed to deter a possum that could have walked right in but I hope if it returns the door is closed so it can't get in!Have a blessed day!

People are not reading through the other posts.
Does this surprise you, Ben?
laugh oh snap GIF by Ovation TV

I don't know about Mass, but here in AL we coon and possum hunt all the time. Raptors are another matter as some are on the endangered list. Check with local Fish and Wildlife folks.
Check the law in your area on hunting them and if not illegal; for the safety of a different type animal you do what is best to stop the other invasive animals and go silent on the matter.

Yesterday night I saw a possum making his way toward the coop. Luckily I stopped him by flashing my flashlight at him and he retreated.
Today, I saw him in the run, next to the coop opening, and he began to play dead. All the chickens are safe and sound.

He is playing dead, not moving, and not reacting to loud noises or anything like that.

How did I get him out of the run so that both he and I are safe?
He won’t budge.

How do I prevent opossums from coming back? I know they generally do not harm chickens, but I do not want to risk it.

When I first saw him, he had a bone in his mouth, probably from the chickens’ leftovers. He was going for the meat and bone left in the run, so luckily that distracted him a little bit so he didn’t get into the coop at all.

And advice and suggestions are greatly appreciated.
View attachment 3001110
View attachment 3001111
View attachment 3001112

View attachment 3001113
@aart @azygous @U_Stormcrow
Kill it they have more then one kill him before he kill your chickens

Back
Top Bottom