Dealing with Opossums and chickens

Pics
Yesterday night I saw a possum making his way toward the coop. Luckily I stopped him by flashing my flashlight at him and he retreated.
Today, I saw him in the run, next to the coop opening, and he began to play dead. All the chickens are safe and sound.

He is playing dead, not moving, and not reacting to loud noises or anything like that.

How did I get him out of the run so that both he and I are safe?
He won’t budge.

How do I prevent opossums from coming back? I know they generally do not harm chickens, but I do not want to risk it.

When I first saw him, he had a bone in his mouth, probably from the chickens’ leftovers. He was going for the meat and bone left in the run, so luckily that distracted him a little bit so he didn’t get into the coop at all.

And advice and suggestions are greatly appreciated.
View attachment 3001110
View attachment 3001111
View attachment 3001112

View attachment 3001113
@aart @azygous @U_Stormcrow
(I see this is from about a month ago, but just wanted to throw my experience in.)

We trapped two opossums two nights in a row. (A friend of ours we work for had loaned us an expensive animal trap that had broken. But our father was able to fix it.

We took them to a nice release spot. One of those two got my hen, left her with a torn back, and a puncture wound right above her hip. The hip wound has pretty much healed up, but the back wound is taking more time.

She is separated in a crate among her small flock. (They didn’t want to accept her back at first, so that was our other option).

(I see this is from about a month ago, but just wanted to throw my experience in.)

We trapped two opossums two nights in a row. (A friend of ours we work for had loaned us an expensive animal trap that had broken. But our father was able to fix it.

We took them to a nice release spot. One of those two got my hen, left her with a torn back, and a puncture wound right above her hip. The hip wound has pretty much healed up, but the back wound is taking more time.

She is separated in a crate among her small flock. (They didn’t want to accept her back at first, so that was our other option).
I have used coconut oil on badly wounded hens from overly agressive males. You would be amazed at how those wounds heal and get new feathers.

Yesterday night I saw a possum making his way toward the coop. Luckily I stopped him by flashing my flashlight at him and he retreated.
Today, I saw him in the run, next to the coop opening, and he began to play dead. All the chickens are safe and sound.

He is playing dead, not moving, and not reacting to loud noises or anything like that.

How did I get him out of the run so that both he and I are safe?
He won’t budge.

How do I prevent opossums from coming back? I know they generally do not harm chickens, but I do not want to risk it.

When I first saw him, he had a bone in his mouth, probably from the chickens’ leftovers. He was going for the meat and bone left in the run, so luckily that distracted him a little bit so he didn’t get into the coop at all.

And advice and suggestions are greatly appreciated.
View attachment 3001110
View attachment 3001111
View attachment 3001112

View attachment 3001113
@aart @azygous @U_Stormcrow
Id use one of those granny stick things and grab him just enough to get him to budge, and if he plays dead Id just pick him up and send him to heaven safety

sorry. My trapping instincts just kicked in 🤭

That was according to research. The bulk of people, even on BYC (from what I understand) that have experienced possums breaking in to the coop, have realized they do not usually go for the adult chickens, but rather the chicks, eggs, and leftover feed.

Is it legal to kill wildlife like that? I’ve attempted to kill a hawk that hurt its wings while going for our chooks, and someone on BYC notified me saying it’s illegal to do so.

If it’s legal, I’d gladly do so. Rather be safe than sorry.

Thanks for your response!
And yeah it is illegal to kill a hawk, Kat keast where I live) just like how you can't shoot a deer when it's got a broken leg.

And I'd contact your local dow, cause where I'm at, if the animal is gonna hurt your livestock, it is totally legal to pump it full-o lead

Back
Top Bottom