Dealing with Opossums and chickens

Pics
But yeah. Trapping is definitely better, I'd just go online and buy a havahart, or if you are good with your hands you can make one to do the same thing with just some wood and a mouse trap

The mousetrap is the trigger system for the door

If the chickens are safe in the coop with sturdy wood, hardware cloth, and good latches between them an the possum, then my inclination would be to remove any food and water he might be after and leave everything alone for a half hour or so and check again later to see if it's still there - and then try to block up any hole it used to get in and out so it doesn't come back later. How is your run built and do you know how it got in?

EDIT: I should have added that the remove smelly temptations and wait method is what my family always used whenever a possum would end up somewhere it didn't belong like in the garage, barn, etc. We never had to grab one and they always just left.
A shot gun will do the trick if you would have seen what they do to chicks I lost 16 chick all I innocent the blood bath was unreal but that was the last time they would do that again all 6 are dead and my chick are safe from them the other night my rooster was making some kind of noise didn’t know what was going on and their it was # 7 dead and he wasn’t playing dead either lol if you don’t kill then they will keep coming back JS

That was according to research. The bulk of people, even on BYC (from what I understand) that have experienced possums breaking in to the coop, have realized they do not usually go for the adult chickens, but rather the chicks, eggs, and leftover feed.

Is it legal to kill wildlife like that? I’ve attempted to kill a hawk that hurt its wings while going for our chooks, and someone on BYC notified me saying it’s illegal to do so.

If it’s legal, I’d gladly do so. Rather be safe than sorry.

Thanks for your response!
Yes, it's legal to kill a rodent and predator that's attacking your flock. There's laws against shooting certain types of hawks and birds of prey but nothing in the way of protecting opossums from being dispatched.

Yes, it's legal to kill a rodent and predator that's attacking your flock. There's laws against shooting certain types of hawks and birds of prey but nothing in the way of protecting opossums from being dispatched.
Opossums are actually not rodents despite looking the part, also they help curb the rodent population, they feed on mice and rats. Please spare these little guys. They're just trying to survive and probably have offspring they have to feed<3

If a possom is creeping outside my pens i couldnt care less, inside my pen its dead. I dont care if i left the door open or not. But right now those aint my issue rats and mice are as seems all there predators are sleeping on the job lol

Back
Top Bottom