Dealing with Opossums and chickens

Pics
No need to kill the poor thing. I had one that was sitting atop our covered outside run. They don't run away and they're fairly docile with humans, so I got a ladder and went up with gloves and a large towel, threw it over him, wrapped him up tight with his head covered and walked him to the forest where our compost pile is far away (we have several acres) from coop. I let him loose there a month ago and so far he hasn't been back. I think that he hit jackpot with the stinky compost pile and sees no need to go after my hen feed anymore.

Depending on where you live, you just need to relocate far enough away from your coop, probably a 1/4 mile.

You have got to have good livestock guardians, I don't loose anything since I've had theses on my yard.View attachment 3020254
Finally! I was wondering if no one has dogs?! I have zero probs with predators thanks to my dogs! One Newfie came home with blood all down his chest once,... I don't want my dogs to get hurt, but they are certainly out there doing a great job.

Yesterday night I saw a possum making his way toward the coop. Luckily I stopped him by flashing my flashlight at him and he retreated.
Today, I saw him in the run, next to the coop opening, and he began to play dead. All the chickens are safe and sound.

He is playing dead, not moving, and not reacting to loud noises or anything like that.

How did I get him out of the run so that both he and I are safe?
He won’t budge.

How do I prevent opossums from coming back? I know they generally do not harm chickens, but I do not want to risk it.

When I first saw him, he had a bone in his mouth, probably from the chickens’ leftovers. He was going for the meat and bone left in the run, so luckily that distracted him a little bit so he didn’t get into the coop at all.

And advice and suggestions are greatly appreciated.
View attachment 3001110
View attachment 3001111
View attachment 3001112

View attachment 3001113
@aart @azygous @U_Stormcrow
These are really good pics of your marauding possum! Usually, when a possum plays dead, he’ll eventually get up and make for the hills. I wouldn’t worry if your coop is secure, but it would be a good idea to double-check. My grandfather (this is no lie!) used to pick up the “out of it” possum by the tail and fling it over the back fence, and I actually saw him do that once! No way would I do that! I have pushed them (far) away with my booted foot or a shovel. BTW, they love eggs.

I don't know about Mass, but here in AL we coon and possum hunt all the time. Raptors are another matter as some are on the endangered list. Check with local Fish and Wildlife folks.
I am pretty sure raptors are on the federal protected list, which is frustrating when you have one worrying your chickens almost daily. One of us makes it a point to be outside during their usual hunting times. I like to think that helps - and all the shiny ribbons hanging across the run.

Mr. Possum decided to come back. This is the last straw.

He made the foolish mistake of coming in at broad daylight. I got a chance to take a quick video and snap a couple photos, but he definitely tan for the hills when I tried coming closer.

He looked like he was eating something (!!!), and he was literally only INCHES away from the free ranging chickens, and they didn’t seem to be bothered by him. My chicks went missing a few days ago, so I’m suspecting it was either him or a hawk - happened mid-day.

4B0B6322-9611-4C5F-825B-EAB78754E0B0.jpeg
8D6C0DD0-2909-4567-806B-C682E34F7131.jpeg
76B066B4-C8DF-4949-9E43-CFDF2422C707.jpeg

Since we didn’t get a chance to get to him before he ran away, we’ll be setting up a live trap and will either kill him or relocate him.

Mr. Possum decided to come back. This is the last straw.

He made the foolish mistake of coming in at broad daylight. I got a chance to take a quick video and snap a couple photos, but he definitely tan for the hills when I tried coming closer.

He looked like he was eating something (!!!), and he was literally only INCHES away from the free ranging chickens, and they didn’t seem to be bothered by him. My chicks went missing a few days ago, so I’m suspecting it was either him or a hawk - happened mid-day.

View attachment 3021747View attachment 3021748View attachment 3021749

Since we didn’t get a chance to get to him before he ran away, we’ll be setting up a live trap and will either kill him or relocate him.
I wouldn't relocate.

Back
Top Bottom