Dealing with Opossums and chickens

No need to kill the poor thing. I had one that was sitting atop our covered outside run. They don't run away and they're fairly docile with humans, so I got a ladder and went up with gloves and a large towel, threw it over him, wrapped him up tight with his head covered and walked him to the forest where our compost pile is far away (we have several acres) from coop. I let him loose there a month ago and so far he hasn't been back. I think that he hit jackpot with the stinky compost pile and sees no need to go after my hen feed anymore.

Depending on where you live, you just need to relocate far enough away from your coop, probably a 1/4 mile.
I trap and rehome
Anyone know what the best bait would be to put in the trap? Tuna fish? Chicken?

TIA.

Edit. Could this possibly be true?
View attachment 3021766
they eat anything, but I put cat food in mine. I trap and re home.

Mr. Possum decided to come back. This is the last straw.

He made the foolish mistake of coming in at broad daylight. I got a chance to take a quick video and snap a couple photos, but he definitely tan for the hills when I tried coming closer.

He looked like he was eating something (!!!), and he was literally only INCHES away from the free ranging chickens, and they didn’t seem to be bothered by him. My chicks went missing a few days ago, so I’m suspecting it was either him or a hawk - happened mid-day.

View attachment 3021747View attachment 3021748View attachment 3021749

Since we didn’t get a chance to get to him before he ran away, we’ll be setting up a live trap and will either kill him or relocate him.
You can't reinforce the fences so that Predators can't get in and your birds can't get out? Just as cat owners can't blame people for running over their cats if they choose to let them outside, it's weird for people to hold predators accountable for actions that are instinctual to them when you offer up your birds on a silver platter for them to eat.

You can't reinforce the fences so that Predators can't get in and your birds can't get out? Just as cat owners can't blame people for running over their cats if they choose to let them outside, it's weird for people to hold predators accountable for actions that are instinctual to them when you offer up your birds on a silver platter for them to eat.
I appreciate this statement on so many levels.

Yes, it’s instinct. They do what they do to survive. Typically they are not domesticated pets, so we have to make double and triple sure our extended family (pets) are protected - whatever it takes. 😑😐😶

i have Hawks so free ranging to me means "hangin' with the chooks". As much as I believe they are thriving when they can free range all the time; i will not take any chances which means they can not be left alone. I would punch a hawk in the face if it tried to get my chickens tho. Its a shame to consider the stress associated with predators. Everyone has their coop and set up and having to modify, repair, spend is all very stessful, not to mention the sheer fear of being attacked yourself or having to intervene. I woke from a terrible dream of 2 big bears right ON my coop and run, noses pushed right up against. can u imagine. Good luck with the Opossum allforeggs, I'm rootin' for ya from CT. 🐔
❤️

My entire yard is fenced in. He must’ve climbed over the fence. He got in, that’s his fault. I’m not risking losing my chickens.

i have Hawks so free ranging to me means "hangin' with the chooks". As much as I believe they are thriving when they can free range all the time; i will not take any chances which means they can not be left alone. I would punch a hawk in the face if it tried to get my chickens tho. Its a shame to consider the stress associated with predators. Everyone has their coop and set up and having to modify, repair, spend is all very stessful, not to mention the sheer fear of being attacked yourself or having to intervene. I woke from a terrible dream of 2 big bears right ON my coop and run, noses pushed right up against. can u imagine. Good luck with the Opossum allforeggs, I'm rootin' for ya from CT. 🐔
❤️
Thank you.

I just went to check on the trap to see if we caught anything… it’s almost midnight, so it’s been about 6 hours since I set the trap.

Nothing. The trap door was shut, and the can of tuna was flipped over! What could’ve happened? Did it escape?

8AB7FC60-4406-4BA8-AD0B-691D212C407C.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom